Chapter 28

LISA

He looked at me blankly. His hair was just like mine and his lips wore a cold smile, devoid of any emotion.

My gaze darted between Jennie and my father. Jennie looked confused for a moment, but then seemed to understand who was standing in front of us and got up.

"Hello, you must be Lisa's father. My name is Jennie Ruby Jane Kim and I am the daughter of the alpha of the pack here. Your daughter is my mate." Jennie introduced herself.

I hadn't even known that she had several first names, I noticed.

My father nodded. "Something like that I thought." He just replied.

I got up too, so my dad couldn't look down at me, at least not that far.

"What are you doing here already?" I asked him. After all, he had written that he wanted to come at the weekend, today was only Thursday.

"I could ask you the same thing. Don't you have school?" My father only replied. His superior gaze swept past me, but there was something... confused in him. "Something is different about you."

"It wasn't a question, it was a statement. Back to you, how come you're here so early? Otherwise you never have such longing." I steered back to the original topic. With the last sentence, however, I could not prevent a slightly accusatory tone resonating in my voice. Only now did I realize how much I had missed his love over the years. I've never known it any other way, but now that I think about it, I wish he'd been there for the little girl I was then. Like a real father.

He seemed to catch the accusation in my words, for his charcoal eyes were instantly on me and boring into mine.

"You have feelings, am I right? But how is that possible?" He murmured, eyebrows furrowed.

Jennie, who had been silent until now, put an arm around my waist and answered for me.

"We don't know exactly how it happened. She drank my blood and suddenly they were back." She explained.

My father seemed to think for a moment, then just nodded and spoke. "The bond between soulmates is strong, especially when one of the two is a powerful alpha."

Jennie started to contradict, but then let it go. Although the pack had not yet been handed over to her, she already had the power of an alpha, as could be seen all too clearly from the red rims of her black eyes.

Suddenly my father sighed. "That only complicates everything." He grumbled before turning back to me. "Okay, I really don't care who your girlfriend or mate is and that you have feelings. The real reason I'm here, and earlier than I originally announced, is because they're coming here, in this city. The vampire slayers will come and send each and every one of us to hell if they aren't already here."

At that moment, the scales fell from my eyes. Mr. Meyer and Mrs. Brown in the café. Your conversation that I overheard...

(Flashback)

"You haven't been here for years, why now? That can not be a coincidence!" Mrs. Brown hissed.

"I don't know and to be honest I don't care that they're coming right now. all that matters is that they are coming and they will not hesitate to kill every single one of us." Mr. Meyer's voice was calm but with a sharp undertone.

"How did you find out? And who knows? Have you ever considered that if we all work together we might have a chance?"

(Flashback End)

Why hadn't I recognized that much longer, it was obvious that they were talking about the hunters, about what else?

I looked at my father in shock, Jennie pulled me closer to her.

"W-what do we do now?" I wanted to know with a trembling voice.

"I'll take you with me. You can stay with me until they're gone." My dad said like it was the most logical thing in the world.

His words kept echoing in my head. I knew what they meant to me.

I would either go with my father and leave Jennie, my other half, who I never wanted to live without, or stay with her and die.

I had the choice.