Chapter 25

JENNIE

The moment she couldn't take it anymore, she buried her teeth in my flesh, and my eyes suddenly went black.

-

I blinked. A cliff stretched out in front of me, I was standing right on the edge.

I looked around confused. Where the hell was I and what was I doing here?

There was a rustle behind me. Lisa emerged from the adjacent forest. my lisa A smile spread across my face at the thought that she was finally mine.

But my grin was suddenly wiped from my face as I took a closer look at her. She was pale and streaming tears.

"Honey, what happened? Did someone hurt you?" I talked to her softly, although my insides were bubbling. I swear I'll rip off whoever did this to her head with my own hands.

I ran towards her to take her in my arms, but her reaction was completely different from what I had imagined. Instead of letting me comfort her, she pushed me away and started crying even harder.

"It's all your fault! You said you would protect me and always be there for me. But where were you when I needed you?"

She let out an agonized sob that sounded like a wounded animal's howl.

What was she talking about? What had I done? I didn't remember leaving her alone. I wanted to help her, but before I could do anything, Lisa started talking again.

"I can't do this, not after what happened. I can't do it anymore. I'm sorry." She whispered barely audibly.

While I was still taking in her words and understanding what she meant, she suddenly started running... towards the abyss.

My brain didn't want to understand what she meant, what she was doing. It was only too late that I realized what she was about to do.

"LISA! PLEASE, NO!" I yelled and managed to break free of the rigidity I had been in. I ran so fast and kept calling her name, but I wasn't fast enough. With one last heartbreaking look she turned and fell off the cliff and I realized I was alone, all alone.

Shocked, Dismayed, Destroyed. All these were no terms for what I felt. My insides were torn, mangled.

I had found my mate, held her in my arms, but only for a few seconds.

The pain was too bad, I couldn't take it anymore. My legs sagged. I gaped my mouth and screamed, screamed like I was on fire.

That's exactly how it felt.