Chapter 43

JENNIE

She nodded. I didn't even like the idea of ​​taking her with me, I swore to protect her. Damn it and now I was taking her to the battlefield!?

Jisoo looked me in the eye once more before she disappeared in the direction of the club. I knew I could trust her to get this done and then come to the packhouse.

On the way I called all sorts of people. First my dad, but no one answered. I didn't wait for the answering machine to pick up, I knew what to do. I'd been told about situations like this in my training for years.

So I started calling the other packhouses. First the one from Manchester, that was the name of the werewolf I left in charge of the house, since I couldn't be in all the packhouses at the same time. After explaining the situation to him and telling him to get all able-bodied people to the main house, I called Weslyn, the head of the third and final pack house, and told him the same thing.

Lisa sat next to me the whole time and watched silently as I tried to raise an entire army strong enough to take on the enemy in a few minutes.

"You know that won't be enough." She said softly when I finally finished my call.

I didn't reply, instead stepping on the accelerator even harder.

"If the rogues have indeed allied themselves with the vampire hunters, your people won't be able to do anything. You are too less." I didn't look at her.

"I can still call people from other packs, that'll be fine." I tried to reassure her, or maybe myself, even though we both knew better.

"They wouldn't be there fast enough..." She said.

And in that moment I realized there was no point in pretending they were going to destroy us on the battlefield. I suddenly felt helpless and small.

"I know." I whispered barely audibly. "But what am I supposed to do? All that's left is to fight and hope for a miracle."

With these words I turned into the forest.

-

The sounds of battle could be heard from afar. Wolves howled, growled and barked, in between a human screamed. I was actually hoping we would have time before she called, but by the sound of it the fight had been going on for a while. The closer we got to the pack's main house, the louder the noise became, until we finally parked right in front of it.

"They are probably behind the house and were fighting there on the training ground." I mumbled more to myself.

"What are you waiting for? Let's help them." Lisa said and made preparations to open the door.

"Stop." I commanded and she stopped her hand halfway to the doorknob. "We've settled that, you're not going to fight."

She seemed to remember our deal but didn't seem too happy about it. "It's okay, I'll stay in the house like you said." She finally gave in.

"They must have stormed the house, you're not safe in there." I thought. "It will probably be best if you stay here in the car and lock it from them."

Lisa gave me an annoyed look. I knew she would love to go with me, but I couldn't let that happen.

"It's okay, I'll stay here and don't move, I get it."

I looked her deep in the eyes again before I gave her a small kiss on the lips and climbed outside, but I leaned back into the car again.

"I'll be back soon, but... if I don't come after all..." I struggled with the right words, were there even right words in a situation like this? "...or the monsters discover you, then you have to promise me that you will leave here and go with your father. He will keep you safe." At least I hoped so.

With one last look at Lisa, I gave her the key to my car, slammed the car door and made my way to hell.