Chapter 30

LISA

After the walk we decided to drive to the packhouse and make something to eat there, or rather make something to eat for Jennie. When she asked if I would go with my father, I hadn't answered anything. She had been so open and honest, had confided things in me... I just couldn't tell her now that I would stay here anyway. It wasn't easy for her at the moment and with my decision I would burden her with even more worries.

During the drive, I reviewed the day so far: How I had escaped from Jennie's room, had drunk from the guy on the street, had run out of class because the urge to suck Jennie's blood was getting too big, but I had tasted her again and she had screamed in pain this time and then my father suddenly appeared when we... Oh never mind. He had told us about the vampire slayers and that I should go with him. During the walk, Jennie told me what happened to her mother back then and what's going on in the pack because of the rogues.

It struck me that Jennie didn't know anything about the man I had drunk from last night. Just as she had never mentioned to me what her father thought of our connection. I remembered Jennie freaking out when Jisoo mentioned her father. It was then that I realized how dissatisfied her father must have been that I was his daughter's mate. Instead of a fun-loving, uncomplicated Luna that everyone liked, they had me. A bloodsucking half-vampire who got completely out of control at times.

"What are you thinking about?" Jennie snapped me out of my thoughts as we turned into the woods. She must have noticed that I had been silent for a long time.

"About nothing special." I answered. She gave me a questioning look and motioned for me to continue. "You said to Jisoo earlier that you don't want to tell your father about what happened this morning because he's not that enthusiastic about me anyway. What did you mean by that? Is he just a little disappointed that a vampire is your mate or does he really hate me?"

Jennie threw me an apologetic and somewhat nervous look, which gave me an idea of ​​what she was about to say.

"He doesn't hate you..." She still tried to calm me down, but you could clearly hear that it was a lie, which she also noticed. "But he's also not very pleased that you're my mate. You have to understand that, our pack hasn't had a Luna since my mother died and that's giving everyone a hard time. It's not just the alpha that gets stronger when he has someone by his side, but the entire pack. Everyone knows how important it is to have a Luna that you can trust and that you can be sure will stick with the pack. With you, some are unsure and have doubts that you meet these requirements, in addition, werewolves have often had arguments with vampires in history, which leads to advantages and contempt. I have no doubts that you'll be a great Luna, but it won't be easy for us. Not only my father, but also many of the pack are skeptical about you."

Her words made me think of yesterday when we were in the cafeteria and Jennie walked away for a moment. I still vividly remembered the killing looks that people from their pack gave me. And also on the morning when I stayed at Jennie's for the first time and she told the pack who I was, some had made it pretty clear that they didn't accept me.

A feeling that I could not really classify came over me. I never wanted to be a Luna, but now that I was one and had taken it as my destiny, I wasn't good enough. I wanted to get to know the pack and not say from the start "You don't want me, well then that's your problem."

Maybe the sudden change of opinion was due to the marking, who knows.

"Maybe the pack will change their mind if I spend more time with the people." I disclosed my reasoning.

Jennie shook her head vigorously, staring at the path. "You won't have much time for that since you're going with your father. Besides, it wouldn't do much anyway, there are about 60 wolves in the pack, spread over three houses. You don't have time to convince everyone."

"You don't have to decide if I go or stay, and besides, not everyone in the pack is against me. Jeongyeon and Jisoo, for example." I replied.

"Sure thing. How about a compromise? You go with your father and once you're no longer in danger from vampire slayers or the 'big bad wolves' you come back and we'll make you bond better with the pack." Jennie suggested.

I just had to smile at her choice of words. However, that disappeared when I contradicted her with a heavy heart. "You know it's not that simple. What if something happens to you? Besides, what should your pack think if I just go? I think if I were to help you guys fight the rogues, they would realize that I'm serious about being their Luna."

We arrived at the packhouse and Jennie didn't answer anymore. She grabbed the car keys and together we ran to the door. Since it was only early afternoon, most of them were probably still at school or at work, but not all. As soon as we entered the house, a little girl jumped towards us, I vaguely remembered having seen her before. She was there when Jisoo dragged me here, the day I drank from Eric she was sitting on the floor by the fireplace.

"Jennie!" She squeaked and ran into Jennie, who stumbled back a few steps in surprise. I giggled at the look on her exasperated face.

"Hey Zara. What's up?" She asked and tried to push the little girl away somehow, which she didn't quite succeed in doing.

"The alpha wants to talk to you." Zara said excitedly and Jennie's mood dropped suddenly.

"My father is here?"

"Yes, upstairs in the office. He said that if you come, I should tell you to go to him immediately." She gushed proudly about this important task that was entrusted to her.

Jennie exchanged a worried look with me. I smiled at her encouragingly. Zara only now seemed to notice that someone else was present. She eyed me curiously.

"Is that your girlfriend?" She asked Jennie with shining eyes.

Jennie forced a grin on her face, despite the upcoming conversation with her father, willy-nilly.

"Yes, and now you had better let us through, so that the alpha doesn't get angry because we're not coming."

Nodding wildly, Zara let go of Jennie and hopped to one side. She took my hand and pulled me into the living room and up the stairs from there. On the first floor we walked down several hallways until we finally arrived at an old looking solid wooden door. With one last look at me, Jennie hesitantly raised her hand and knocked.