49. Paying for my sins

'Your husband, the king seems like a good man.' Talisa remarked after an exam odie. She was going to be fine but she needed to drink more water. Keep hydrated and replenish with nutritious foods if possible.

'Robb is a wonderful man.' Odie told her.

'Was it love at first sight?' Talisa questioned

'I was 10 when we met.' Odie told her 'but he was handsome and kind even then.' Odie recalled. Everything had been so crazy since sandor and jon left she didnt have a moment to think of them to grieve them. She had heard the soldiers talking saying that the hound had tucked tail and ran. Abandoning the king at the battle of the black water bay but that didn't sound like her brother. He wasn't one to run from a fight.

'He helped me with an amputation just last week. He's not afraid to get his hands dirty.' Talisa added

'But he is merciful and kind. He doesn't like violence.' Odie told her. 'He gave the lannisters a good and just a honorable peace treaty and cersei tore it up. Robb is going to do great things in this world while the lannisters are all going to fall.'

'He is lucky to have you.' talisa told her.

'I'm the lucky one.' Odie corrected. Talisa left and odie drummed her fingers over her stomach. It brought her back to winterfell. When she told jon that she hadn't bled so they didn't need to worry about her growing pregnant. How he put his mouth on her instead. She closed her eyes trying to force the image of jon away. But jon wasn't just her first love he was her friend. She could only hope that being a snow at the wall was safer than being a stark anywhere else in westeros.

Then her mind drifted back to sandor. If he really did leave kings landing where would he go? Would he look for her? Would he go to winterfell or would he have heard about the greyjoy disaster. Would he try and find her? Would he stay if he found her or would he try and bring her somewhere safe. But where was somewhere safe among the madness?

Odie needed robb. She got out of bed making her way to the banquet hall where they were meeting with lord freys sons.

++++++

'Thank you for riding so quickly I know it is not an easy time.' Robb said as he sat across from two of the frey boys.

'But when the king of the north summons us we come.' The frey son told him.

'Our father has summoned us to tell you that his alliance to the north can continue if his terms are met.' two of Lord Walder Frey sons had come to try and broker a deal since news of Odetta and Rob's marriage had somehow managed to get to their ears. 'He firstly wants a formal apology for your violation of a saccade oath to one of his daughters.'

'Of course he deserves this much. I was in the wrong.' Robb agreed, Odetta listen carefully outside the door he thought Odie still in the tent, Robb didn't want her here anyways. He wanted her safe in case the men tried something stupid. She liked that about Robb he was always trying to keep her safe

'And restitution for this betrayal he demands Harrenhal in all its lands.'

'Well I don't think that's-' Edmure began.

'We are fighting for the north.' Robb reminded him 'Harrenhal is not in the north. Once the war is over it is his and we have no further strategic need for it.'

'And there's something else Lord Frey wants.'

'We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs.' Robb assured

'not what who...'

'What?' Edmund said as they all look to him he started to laugh, 'no.'

'Our father requires Lord Edmure to wed one of his daughters Rosalyn.'

'How old is she?' Edmure questioned

'19.'

'Can I see your first?'

'Do you want to counter teeth?' the freys teased. The frey men were not the most pleasant looking Edmure could only imagine what the women looked like. 'We depart for the twins in the morning we need an answer before we leave and the wedding the night there after or this alliance is at an end.' They warned.

'Your father does realize we're in the middle of a war?' Edmure questioned

'Our father is worried about his daughter and he is willing to give you peace to see her married to a good husband.' One of the sons answered.

'And his recent experiences made him weary.' the other son answered

'He has every right to be.' Robb agreed 'will you please excuse us while we discuss it?' they stood leaving them be, they watch them go as soon as the door closed Edmund spoke up

'Why should I let that old ferret decide my bride for me? At the very least I should have the same choice that you have as liege lord!" Edmure spat.

'He is a proud man and we have wounded him.' Robb reminded him

'I have not wounded him.' edmure said standing up

'Edmure-'

'My answer is no.' edmure answered

'Listen to me and listen very carefully.'

'The laws of gods and men are very clear.' Edmure told one of the commanders, 'no man can tell another man to marry.'

'The laws also give me the power to condemn your teeth.' Robbs commander spat

'You will not hurt him.' Robb said calmly 'if you refuse our chances of winning are dead.'

'He's wanted me for one of his daughter since I was 12.' Edmure told them 'he's not going to stop wanting it now if I say no you will come back and offer me a daughter of my choosing.' He said confidently.

'You are willing to risk our freedom and our lives for a chance at a prettier wife?' Catelyn accused

'I have a war to fight.' Robb told him 'we cannot win without him and I have no time to haggle you said you want to make amends!' Robb reminded him.

'Do you recall that heroic engagement?' one of the commander said smugly

'I had hoped for something less permanent in mind.' Edmure said

'I have won every battle but I'm losing this war.' Robb reminded him 'if we do not do this we are lost.'

'I will marry her.' Edmure agreed

'You're paying for my sins uncle, it's not fair or right I will remember it.'