Chapter 61

June 2020

"Mom can we talk to you for a second?" Daniel approached his mom with his sister by his side.

"Of course. Is everything okay?" Melissa saw that they looked nervous about whatever it was they wanted to talk to her about.

"We just wanted to talk to you about dad's Father's Day gift," Mia said nervously.

"Oh okay well what did you guys have in mind? Did you need my help? If you need some money I can give you guys a little bit," Melissa rambled.

"Mom can we we tell you what it is first," Mia chuckled. Melissa nodded at them to continue.

"We wanted to know what you thought about us uh- about us asking Tom to adopt us," Daniel said quietly. Daniel and Mia had talked extensively about this idea. Daniel was the one to bring it up to Mia and she admitted that she had been thinking about it since at least the wedding. Then once Melissa got pregnant, they knew for sure it was something they wanted to do. They figured Father's Day would be the perfect day to ask.

Melissa of course had tears running down her face. She knew her kids loved Tom but honestly the idea of adoption never even crossed her mind. "Oh wow," she cleared her throat. "I think that's a beautiful idea," she smiled through her tears. "But I want to make sure you guys are absolutely certain that this is what you want."

Mia and Daniel both gave each other a knowing look. "We're sure. We've been planning this since you told us you were pregnant," Daniel smiled.

"Well okay," she smiled. "I'll look into it and see what we need to do."

Melissa spent the rest of the week researching everything she needed to know about step-parent adoption. Turns out it is pretty simple. She thought she may need to get lawyers involved or something but it wasn't at all necessary. Since their biological father hadn't been involved in their lives since before Mia was born, he gave up his rights to have a say in the matter. All she had to do was pick up a form at the courthouse and because both Mia and Daniel were over fourteen, they had to sign it. Her part was all very easy. The hard part was all up to Mia and Daniel.

It was now Father's Day and the kids had the whole day planned. They insisted on having no help from their mom since she already took care of getting them what they needed to pull off their gift. They had planned to start the day by making breakfast, then they planned on playing some of Tom's favorite board games, then they'd give him his gift, then they would finish the night by ordering in dinner from his favorite restaurant to celebrate.

This was the first Father's Day they were really celebrating with him. In 2017, Melissa and Tom had only been together for three months so it was definitely not even on anyone's mind. In 2018, they weren't calling Tom dad yet. In 2019, Tom was in London for Betrayal so they had just called him to tell him 'Happy Father's Day.' But now, their parents were married and a baby was on the way. It was the perfect time to celebrate Tom.

Mia and Daniel had a full feast prepared when Tom and Melissa came into the dining room. They both yelled, "Happy Father's Day!" catching Tom completely by surprise.

"Wha- what is all this?" Tom stuttered.

"Your Father's Day breakfast," Mia smiled as she walked over to wrap her arms around Tom.

"We know we haven't really made a big deal about Father's Day the past few years but we wanted to make it up to you this year and really go all out the whole day," Daniel said as he walked over to join in on the hug.

"Well thank you my darlings," he kissed both of them on the head. "This is very sweet of you."

After breakfast they moved to the game room to play all of Tom's favorite games. Growing up, the kids had weekly family game nights and they kept that tradition when they moved in with Tom. Tom loved it and had a few games that quickly became some of his favorites.