Chapter 21

November 2017

Taylor Swift posted a photo

taylorswift #reputation is out now

taylorswift #reputation is out now. Let the games begin.

***

Tom knew this day would come. His publicist warned him to expect it soon. He did expect it. This is what she was known for after all. It was all over social media. Taylor Swift's new album Reputation was just released. It was the first one out since they broke up and he knew there was sure to be a song about him on there somewhere. Of course, her fans were quick to figure out what songs were about who. All he knew was that at least one song was for sure about him: Getaway Car.

He had avoided talking about Taylor with Melissa. All she knew was the breakup was very public but she had no idea who the breakup was actually with. To this day, she still refused to look him up. She said that if he wasn't famous she wouldn't be able to read about him online so it didn't seem fair for her to do so just because he was famous. She figured that if she needed to know something, he'd tell her.

Daniel and Mia had asked him about it once. Obviously they knew about the breakup, both of them being super fans of the Marvel cast and being active on social media. He told them as much as he saw appropriate but he asked that they not say anything to Melissa. He knew she wouldn't ask them but if she did, he wanted to be the one to tell them.

With Taylor's new album out, he knew that their relationship would probably be all over social media again. He knew it was time to be completely honest with her. He didn't want her to find out online.

"Darling can we talk?" Tom asked as he sat next to Melissa on the couch.

She set her book down and turned to face him. "Of course. Is everything okay?" She saw how nervous he looked. "What's going on?"

He took a deep breath before speaking. "I need to talk to you about my ex," he said bluntly.

"Oh uh okay. Why?" she was confused. He never brought her up so she wasn't sure why he was doing it now, a year after their breakup.

"I know I never really told you details but it might start coming up online again and I don't want you to be surprised by what you hear."

"Well you know that I never look you up online right?"

"Yes I know but it might get to you on Instagram or something. The reason our breakup was so public was probably because of who she is." Melissa looked at him to continue. "My ex is Taylor Swift."

Melissa looked at him in utter and complete shock. "Your ex-girlfriend is Taylor fucking Swift?! How the hell did I not know this? Oh god when your fans find out about us I'm going to be torn to pieces. They're all going to hate me. Especially her fans. I don't compare to her. She's gorgeous and I'm just-"

"Woah, woah, hey! No!" Tom interrupted her rambling by putting his hands on her cheeks to bring her back. "You will not go talking about yourself that way. I love you and I will not let you talk badly about yourself. This is not why I am telling you this."

"Well how can I not compare myself to her? She's Taylor Swift for crying out loud!"

"I know who she is sweetheart. But can I please continue?" She took a deep breath before nodding. "Well she just released a new album and apparently there's a song about me."

"Of course there is," she scoffed.

"Darling I didn't tell you this earlier because I knew you would start comparing yourself to her. I'm not one to compare women against each other but I want you to know my feelings for you are so much stronger than they ever were for her. I love you and you are the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on."

Melissa brought him into a hug, seeing how distressed he looked. "Tom sweetheart. I love you, okay. I'm sorry for getting a little crazy but I just," she sighed. "I never imagined myself dating a celebrity. It's hard not to compare myself to others, especially when they are as famous as her. I'm just scared about what they'll say about not only me and the kids but about you when they find out we're together."

"I know fans can be intense but my real fans will love you. I don't want you to worry about that okay."

"Okay." She cuddled into his chest and felt herself relax when he started rubbing her back. He went on to tell her more about their relationship and breakup. She felt herself getting upset, especially when she heard the song, but he assured her he was over it. He didn't care anymore what Taylor had to say. She was his past and all he cared about was his future with Melissa, Mia, and Daniel.

"I want us to move in together," he said out of nowhere.

Melissa sat back up to face him. "Isn't that what we're already doing?" she chuckled.

"I mean I want us to move somewhere together. This is me moving in with you. I want to find a new place that's ours."

"Tom we haven't even been together a full year."

"There's no timeline for things like this. When you know, you know. And I know that I am serious when I say I want a future with you. A future with all of you."

"I can't just up and move us all to London."

"Well I was thinking we'd stay here."

"What about your family?"

"You and the kids are my family too. And I was thinking we can live here and then maybe we can just stay in London while the kids are on their summer and winter breaks."

"I can't afford two houses Tom. I can't even afford one house."

"Darling, not to sound like an ass but did you forget what I do for a living?"

"I'm not just going to let you buy two houses Tom. That's your money."

"Love, come here," he gestured to his lap and gave her a moment to settle in. "What's mine is your's now. I know we're not married but I eventually want to be. This could be the start of our lives together. Plus, I already have a house big enough for us all in London. All we need it to find one here. I make enough money to buy one and not worry about it. If money is the only thing stopping you, please just think about it."

She looked him in the eye and saw nothing but love. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him gently. She moved to rest her forehead against his and smiled. "Okay," she whispered.

"Okay? Okay what?"

"Okay we can get a house together," her smiled widened.

"Are you serious?" he asked excitedly. She hummed in agreement and giggled when she saw his face light up. "Oh my god!" he pressed their lips together again, kissing her more passionately. "I can't believe we're going to buy a house together!"

"Now all we have to do is talk to Mia and Danny. Though I'm sure they'll be just as excited as you, they love you."

"Well I love them too. I love all three of you."