Chapter 59

April 2020

"Are you ready?" Tom asked Daniel as they both put their seatbelts on.

"Yup!" Daniel said excitedly. After a lot of studying and Melissa randomly quizzing him throughout the week, Daniel was able to pass his written driving test. As soon as Daniel got his permit, Tom worked on finding some time daily to take him driving. Today was going to be his first day behind the wheel.

"So what's the first thing you need to do?"

"Adjust my seat and check my mirrors," Daniel said as he pushed his seat forward from Tom's position and adjusted his mirrors.

"Perfect. I know this is an empty lot but you need to stay focused and make sure you check your surroundings." Daniel followed Tom's instructions and he was now slowly moving through the lot. "Once I feel you're ready we can try practicing on the road and freeway."

They spent the next hour driving around the lot. Reversing, making u-turns, stopping, parking. They went over everything and Daniel was so glad that he asked Tom to teach him instead of his mom. "Thanks for doing this dad," Daniel turned to Tom from the passenger seat. Tom had taken over driving once they left the lot and were on their way home.

"It's my pleasure bud. It's what I'm here for. And don't tell your mum I said this but we both know she would've been yelling at you the whole time," Tom chuckled.

"And probably would've cried too, talking about me growing up too fast," Daniel joked. He suddenly got serious. He had something he needed to talk to his parents about but he wasn't sure how they'd take it. He knew Tom would be easier to talk to than Melissa so he knew this would be his best opportunity to talk to him. "Uh dad can I talk to you about something?"

"Of course. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah but I'm not really sure how you and mom will react."

"Well do you want to wait to talk to both of us together?"

"No I wanna talk to you first," Daniel paused trying to get his words out. "So uh I've been kinda seeing someone."

Tom was taken by surprise. He knew this conversation was going to take longer than just the short five minute ride home. He decided he would drive around for a little longer, taking some extra turns to get home. "Oh wow okay. And how did you meet this person?"

"Um at school. We met at the beginning of last school year. When we left to LA they asked for my number and we started talking everyday. But we made things official when we went back to school after winter break."

"And do you want to tell me what this person's name is?" Tom asked. He noticed that Daniel hadn't used any gender specific pronouns. He wasn't sure if maybe this person just didn't use any or if Daniel was trying to hide the identity of them.

Daniel took a deep breathe before speaking again. "Ben."

Tom couldn't help but smile. "Well I'd love to meet him son. I'm sure your mum would too."

"You mean you're not mad?"

"And why do you think I'd be mad?"

"Because it's a boy," he said shyly.

"Are you happy?"

"Yeah. I am."

"Then so am I. You should invite him over for dinner this week so we could meet him."

"But what about mom?"

"Well you know the rule. You guys are allowed to start dating once you turn 16 as long as you tell us. So the longer you put this off, the more of a reason you're giving her to be upset. And you know your mum, as long as you're happy and they treat you right, she won't care who it is."

"Thanks dad," Daniel smiled. He was really scared of his mom's reaction but he was ready to tell her and be truly open with her.

Daniel had decided to invite Ben over for dinner a few nights later. All he had told his mom was that he was inviting a friend over. When the doorbell rang, Daniel ran nervously to go open it.

Ben noticed his nervousness as soon as he walked into the house. "We don't have to do this today if you're not ready."

"No. No. I'm ready. Let's do this," Daniel said as he pulled Ben in by his hand.

All heads turned when Daniel walked in with Ben. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Hiddleston," Ben greeted. He held his hand out towards Melissa and handed her a beautiful bouquet of flowers. "These are for you."

"Oh wow these are beautiful! Thank you so much!" Melissa said as she grabbed the flowers. "Daniel are you going to introduce us to your lovely friend?"

"This is Ben, my uh- my boyfriend," Daniel said as he looked down at the floor. He didn't want to look at his mom and find disappointment.

"Oh my god," Melissa's hand flew to her mouth. Her eyes began to water and it made Daniel's heart break a little bit. "My baby has his first boyfriend," she sobbed.

"Wait what?" Daniel's head shot up. "You're okay with this?"

"Why wouldn't I be okay with this mijo? Your old enough now and from what I could see Ben is a kind boy. If you're happy, I'm happy."

Daniel ran over to hug his mom, tears forming in his eyes. "I love you mom."

"I love you too baby. Now let me go properly greet your boyfriend," she smiled. Melissa walked over to Ben and hugged him, "It's lovely to meet you Ben."

The rest of the family, stepped forward to greet him. "Hi Ben, I'm Mia! It's great to finally meet you! Danny has told me so much about you."

"Same here Ben. Welcome to our home," Tom shook his hand.

"Wait you guys all knew?" Melissa gasped. "Why am I the last to know?"

"Well Mia and I tell each other everything and she kinda caught me FaceTiming him one time. And I told dad when we went driving. I couldn't stand the thought of you being disappointed in me. And you've been extra emotional lately and I didn't want to make you cry."

"Well I wish you would've told me sooner but I am very happy for you mi amor."

"Well I think it's time to eat. We can talk more over dinner," Tom said as he led everyone to the dining room.

They sat and ate, doing their best to get to know Ben. "I really hate to do this but with who my husband is and my daughter now being an actress too I feel like I need to take extra precautions. I hope that you keep anything you learn here to yourself. I am obviously pregnant but we haven't told many people yet. Only our families and employees know. So we ask that you don't take that information outside of this house."

"Don't worry Mrs. Hiddleston. Danny already spoke to me about it and I promise I wouldn't do anything like that. I care about him, therefore I care about all of you," Ben said honestly.

"Well Ben I think we'd definitely love to have you back to our home whenever you'd like," Tom smiled.

***

Daniel Flores posted a photo

danielflores ♡♡tagged: @benmelrose

danielflores ♡♡
tagged: @benmelrose

elizabetholsen omg! I want to meet him!!

robertdowneyjr so proud of you!

tomholland2013 glad to see you so happy!