Chapter 39

November 2018

Ever since moving in with Tom, Melissa cut back her hours a lot at the bakery. She always had incredibly long shifts at the bakery because they couldn't afford to hire more people. Tom insisted that he wanted to help out and convinced her to cut back her hours and hire a new baker. She was hesitant because she felt like she was taking advantage of him but he assured her he wanted to do it so that she could spend more time with her family.

It was Mireya's birthday. She was the bakery's head baker and one of Melissa's closest friends. She had invited Melissa, Kimberly, and the other ladies that worked at the bakery to go out to dinner to celebrate.

"I left dinner ready on the stove," Melissa said as she walked towards the front door. Kimberly was there to pick her up. "I'll try not to be out too late."

"Go have fun. Don't worry about us," Tom said before placing a kiss on her forehead. "We're just gonna have a relaxing night in."

"Okay. Call me if you need anything," she turned to the kids who were finishing up homework in the living room. "Portansen bien! Love you guys!"

"Love you!" they all replied before she walked out.

Mia suddenly put all her work back in her backpack before standing up and walking to her room. Tom and Daniel thought nothing of it, assuming she finished her work and was just going to relax before dinner. About thirty minutes later she came back down in a too short dress, platform boots, and a full face of makeup.

"I'll be back later," she said as she walked towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going? And dressed like that?" Tom asked, following her to the door with Daniel trailing behind.

"Out."

"With who?"

"A friend," she rolled her eyes. "What's the big deal? Mom always lets me go out with my friends."

"Well did you ask her before she left?"

"No but she'll be fine with it."

"Okay well can you at least tell me with who and where you're going so I know that you're safe?"

"I'm going out with Jacob to eat."

"Jacob? As in Jacob Andrews? The senior?" Daniel growled.

"A senior? What the fuck are you doing going out with a senior? You're fourteen years old. I know your mum gives you a lot of freedom but I doubt she'd be okay with you going out alone with a boy who is at least three years older than you."

"Look, he's here to pick me up. I'll be home before curfew," she scoffed reaching for the door knob.

"You are not going and that's final," Tom demanded.

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not my dad!" she yelled.

"Mia," Daniel said softly. He knew she would regret saying that.

"I'll be back later." With that she was out the door.

Daniel turned to Tom and saw that he was visibly distraught at her words. "Tom she didn't mean that."

"No it's okay she," he paused trying his hardest not to show how hurt he really was. "She um- she's right. Come on let's go eat dinner." He sighed before walking towards the kitchen.

Daniel knew he was hurt by Mia's words. But he also knew that Mia didn't mean what she said. She loved Tom and had even told Daniel that she wanted to talk to him about calling him dad. Daniel had wanted to for a while but he decided he'd wait until Mia was ready too.