Chapter 1

Floresita Panadería posted a photo

floresitapanaderia a concha and a cafecito are the best way to start your day

***

Melissa Flores was born in Guadalajara, Mexico. When she was ten years old, she immigrated to the United States, specifically Los Angeles, with her parents and older sister, Kimberly. Luckily, their whole family was able to become American citizens fairly quickly. Growing up in an immigrant household came with it's challenges. Fortunately, when they were in Mexico they took some English classes, so when they moved to America they were already familiar with the language. Their accents gave away the fact that they weren't born in America and that occasionally led to bullying from their peers at school. It was hard for Melissa and Kimberly to make friends when they first moved, both of them unfamiliar with the culture, but after some time they got the hang of life in America.

In 2000, during Melissa's freshman year of high school, she met Victor. The two immediately became close friends and ended up dating before the school year ended. He was her first boyfriend. Her parents didn't love the idea of her dating so young but they knew there was no stopping her. She thought she was in love.

Tragedy struck the Flores family in 2001 when their mother, Maria, passed away. She had suffered from cancer for a few years before she passed so it wasn't unexpected but it didn't make it any easier on their family. She was a kind, loving mother who adored her daughters and husband.

In the winter of 2002, Melissa became pregnant. She gave birth the summer before her senior year of high school and was forced to continue her schooling online so that she could take care of her child. Everyone was surprised that Victor stuck around and moved in with the Flores family to be close to Melissa and the baby. Melissa's family didn't really care for him. They didn't think he was good enough for Melissa and had overheard a few heated arguments from them. At the end, he made Melissa happy so they stayed quiet. And he was actually a decent father to Daniel.

Only five months after Daniel was born, Melissa became pregnant again. She assumed Victor would be happy with the news. She thought they were in love and that he was happy with her and Daniel, another child would only make them happier. She realized she was very wrong when she got home one day and all his things were gone. She was devastated to say the least. He ignored all her calls and his parents said they hadn't heard from him. She had no clue what happened to him. She tried calling him again after Mia was born, hoping he'd want to at least meet his daughter. She was surprised when he answered but he told her to never call him again. That was the last she ever heard from him. She was now eighteen years old and a single mother of two. She was blessed to have a dad like her's though. He helped her as much as he could and was truly an incredible grandpa. He didn't love that his daughter had kids so young but he wouldn't wish for anything to change. He loved his daughters and his grandchildren.

In 2003, Kimberly met Jorge, during their second year of undergraduate. The night of their graduation, Jorge proposed to Kimberly and she of course said yes. Her family loved Jorge and they were so happy for the couple. A few months after graduating, Jorge got an offer to join a law firm in Atlanta. They moved immediately after their wedding in 2007, leaving her dad, Melissa, and the kids in Los Angeles. Melissa was really sad to see her sister leave but she really liked Jorge and was so happy for them.

In 2012, another beautiful life was lost. Their father, Francisco, died from a massive heart attack. Melissa and Kimberly lost their last living parent. Daniel and Mia lost their only known grandparent. They were eight and nine at the time and were absolutely devastated. The whole family was in shambles. Melissa felt all alone with her sister living in Atlanta. She wanted a fresh start for her and her children and after a lot of discussion with Kimberly and Jorge she decided to move her family to Atlanta to be closer to them.

When they first moved, they were forced to stay with Kimberly and Jorge in their house. The only money Melissa really had was from what they were able to sell her parent's house for. She didn't have a college degree and had only worked at a local bakery in Los Angeles.

Jorge was eventually able to get Melissa a job as a receptionist at the law firm he worked at and she was able to move out and get a small two bedroom apartment for her and her kids. But she was unhappy, she felt like she wasn't going anywhere in life.

Kimberly knew her sister better than anyone and knew that she was desperate for a change. She had her degree in business and had a great new idea and knew that Melissa would love it. In 2014, after a lot of hard work, Floresita Panaderia opened in downtown Atlanta. Being one of the only Mexican bakeries in the city, it was a huge success. Melissa was so happy to be able to do something she loved for a living. She also loved that she could now afford to move her family into a bigger three bedroom apartment.

Life hadn't gone how Melissa thought it would but she had her kids, sister, and brother-in-law and she was truly happy.

*****

A/N: This was just a quick introduction into Melissa's life so far.