Chapter 7: Back at the House

Start from the beginning

"One of us could die tomorrow. I know we just met but I like you Erica. Moving fast is the only way to move in the apocalypse," he says, moving his hand to my chin, titling my head up. His lips ghost over mine as a loud bang sounds from outside. He moves his head back, putting a protective arm in front of my body.

"Calum, it's just thunder don't worry," I tell him. He relaxes a little until another rumble sounds, "is the brave and tough Calum Hood afraid of thunder?" I tease. He turns back around with an annoyed face, as the back door opens to a drenched Michael.

"It's getting bad out there. Help me shut down the house," he says, throwing the basket down. I run to the front door, locking the storm door and then shutting the main door behind it. I walk to the back to see the guys tying down plants to stakes in the ground. I rush out and help them place a tarp over them to help protect them from the brute of the wind. I see a group of walkers in the distance moving closer with the wind dragging them along.

"Guys, we need to get inside," I yell, trying not to attract them over. Michael and Calum push me first to get into the house. I go to grab the door when one of the wooden fixtures we made flies towards us. Calum's hands yank me down, pulling me into his chest. Instead of it slamming into my body, the edge scrapes against my skin. Michael runs in front of us, opening up the door as Calum helps me inside. He shuts the door, spinning me around to look at the gash on my face.

"Are you okay?" He asks, as Michael throws him the first aid kit. I bring a hand to my face and hiss at the stinging sensation. When I take my hand away blood is dripping down my fingers. Calum sits me on the counter, grabbing a disinfecting wipe. He cleans the cut causing me to grab his arm from the pain

"I'm almost done," he whispers, resting his other hand on my cheek. Michael stands with the walkie talkie trying to get ahold of the other group. We hear him groan as he brings in the one they were supposed to take.

"We are totally cut off from the rest off the group during a storm," he mumbles as thunder booms from outside. He grabs candles and brings them into the kitchen for Calum to see better as the sun goes down.

"It's too big to put a bandage on it. Just keep pressure on it to stop the bleeding," he tells me, passing me a tissue. He passes me a mirror for me to see the damage. A large gash cut diagonally across my left eye.

"At least it looks badass," I say making Michael laugh. I take one of the wipes, cleaning up the blood around the wound.

"Badass until it gets infected," he says, putting the first aid kit away. We move into the living room, placing the candles around the room so it's not pitch black. Death and being scared of the dark are definitely two of the worst fears to have in this life.

"Do you think the groups okay?" I ask, once Michael and I sit on the couches. Calum moves the curtains so the light doesn't go outside.

"They probably found a nearby house to stay in. There's no chance they would risk it in this," he says, slightly jumping at the thunder when he sits down. I put my hand on his thigh, raising my knee up so Michael can't see. He places his hand on mine, squeezing it reassuringly.

"We should get some sleep. The storms gonna destroy everything we've built," Michael points out.

"Do you guys mind if I crash here tonight? I don't really wanna be alone in the other house," I tell them. Calum links his fingers with mine as Michael gives me a confused look.

"I thought that was assumed. Only an asshole would make you go out in the rain to an empty house," he tells me.

"Do you guys have an extra blanket? I can just sleep on the couch if that's cool with you guys," I tell them. Michael runs to the closet grabbing a pillow and blanket, placing them on the couch for me. He lays out to the blanket doing jazz hands towards the makeshift bed.