Chapter Fifty-Three

Philippe glared at his niece as she continued packing her clothes, messily throwing them into a suitcase. Odette and Genevieve walked in, throwing a skeptical look at Philippe and their cousin. Victoria, finally tired of their stares, turned to them with a glare, folding her arms.

"Why are you guys staring at me like that?" She asked, raising a brow

"Nous sommes censés vous demander ce qui ne va pas chez vous ? Êtes-vous fou ?(We're supposed to be asking what's wrong with you? Are you crazy?)" Philippe said, trying not to yell.

"I don't want to talk about it"

"But you have to. You can't just run away like that and expect everyone to be okay with it"

"And you were perfectly fine when you were getting ready" Genevieve stated.

"Même si vous aviez des sentiments mitigés, vous n'auriez pas dû vous enfuir comme ça. C'est faux(Even if you were having mixed feelings you shouldn't have run away like that. It's wrong)"

"Je n'ai pas de sentiments mitigés!(I'm not having any mixed feelings!)" Victoria yelled. "I'm hundred and one percent sure of what I want. And I don't want this marriage"

"But you should have a valid reason for it" Odette reasoned. "Are you in love with someone else?"

"No, I'm not. But Alfred is. And I realized how selfish I was been. I knew he wasn't in love with me but I tried telling myself it was in the past"

"What nonsense are you talking about?" Philippe seethed and she whipped her head towards him.

"It's true. And I'm sure you're aware of it. Alfred and Kaitlyn are in love with each other"

"Kaitlyn? You mean your chief bridesmaid?" Mademoiselle Marie asked and Victoria nodded.

"But Troy and her are dating" Odette said "I mean you should have seen them in the corridor today. I think you've got it all wrong"

"I'm not that stupid. I had to get my facts right before taking a decision. The groom always has his eyes on the bride at the altar. Alfred had his eyes on Kaitlyn. The groom will always try to calm the bride and make her comfortable. But Alfred was bothered only by Kaitlyn's discomfort. The groom looks at the bride while saying his vows but Alfred's attention was on Kaitlyn. I really didn't feel like he was saying those vows to me but to her"

"You knew about it since so why didn't you say anything before?" Odette asked.

"I don't know" she slumped on the bed. "I just felt I would be able to make him fall in love with me before then. Guess I was been delusional"

"Yes, you are been delusional" Philippe said and stood. "This wedding is happening, Renee. Stop been stupid" and with that, he walked out.

"Father!" Genevieve called after him but Victoria stopped her.

"I'll talk to him" she said and followed Philippe into his study as he slumped on his chair. "What are you doing?"

"What's best for you and the country, Victoria"

"No. You're not. Alfred isn't in love with me. The only reason he's really into this marriage is because Of the deal. It's all about the deal. But what about me? I can't get married to a man who isn't in love with me?"

"Love?" He chuckled humorlessly. "Tu as été délirante, chérie(You're been delusional, honey). There is no such thing as love. The world doesn't revolve around love" she scoffed.

"Really? Then tell me why you sometimes sit down alone when you think no one's watching and get yourself drunk while holding Aunt Margaret's picture?"

"What?" He looked up to see a smug look on her face at his shocked expression.