Chapter Forty-Nine

Alfred ran both hands through his hair and sighed, opening the main door to get into the house. His mother should be out but he wasn't sure if Victoria was still inside or not. He really wasn't in the mood to see her.

He had asked Kendall to follow him back home but she wasn't ready to budge.

"You can go freshen up. I'll be here" she had said. "Just get some clothes for me. And maybe food for Kieran. I'm not really hungry" he had rolled his eyes at her last statement and as he was about to leave, Kieran stopped him.

"Can you please get Kaitlyn for me?" He asked and Alfred's breath hitched, hearing her name.

"Why do you need her?" Kendall asked and he chuckled.

"She's always been curious about what I was doing here in America. I've been tempted a lot of times to tell her. But I couldn't bring myself to do it".

"She doesn't need to know" Alfred decided, his grip on the handle tightening making his knuckles almost white. "It's really none of her business"

"I know you two aren't on the best of terms. But you don't get to decide who I tell about my condition. So kindly get Kaitlyn here" He left and slammed the door shut, not giving them any reply.

"Julia" he called, entering the kitchen with his hands in his pockets. The maid shot her head up, relief evident on her face.

"Where were you and Kendall all night?" She asked when he got to the counter she was working on.

"We got kind of stuck. Kieran's sick so Kendy's taking care of him" he shrugged.

"Are they both fine?"

"Yeah. Kendy asked if you could get breakfast and lunch for them"

"Of course" she walked over to the fridge and poured him a glass of orange juice. "You look sick yourself" she scolded him, reaching the glass out to him.

"I'm fine, Julia. You don't need to worry about me"

"You have cancer, Alfred. Cancer! And then there's this heart failure of yours. You haven't been taking care of yourself much lately"

"You're just overthinking things" he placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled. "I even have a chemo session this evening"

"Your mother is furious. She was so angry when she left this morning. Your phone was switched off and so was Kendall's"

"Kendall's phone died and she didn't bother charging it cause she knew mum would be calling. And I intentionally switched mine off" Alfred chuckled and pinched the bridge of his nose, taking two large gulps from the glass he had initially ignored.

"Victoria was also worried. Her dress came this morning for fitting. And it was absolutely gorgeous. She looked so stunning in it"

"I'm sure she did"

"I don't know why you're getting married to her. But take care of her, Al. She's a good girl, you're better than that"

"Of course, Julia. And I'm getting married with my consent. So you don't need to worry about me. Worry about yourself. You're looking old these days" she smacked his arm and he yelped. "I can see you're also getting meaner"

"I can still whoop your ass, Alfred. Don't try me"

"Shiver me Timbers. I'm so scared!" He made a high pitched scream and she glared at him making him laugh. "I'll go shower and be back. Don't miss me too much"

"As if" he smirked and walked into the elevator, too stressed to take the staircase.

Shaking his head to take off some of the water from his hair, he sprayed some cologne, drying his hair with the towel from earlier. A hot shower was all he needed to relief some stress. He picked his phone and sat on the bed, wondering if he should call Kaitlyn. He could just make up some excuse about her not wanting to show up. But he didn't want to cheat Kieran. Mostly due to the fact that whatever it was they were going to discuss had no business do with him. It wasn't his problem.