Chapter Forty-Eight

Alfred rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time, getting more bored by the second. Victoria was chatting animatedly with the wedding planner and they both giggled when she turned to him.

"What do you think of this, Alfred?" She looked at him through her lashes as she dropped the journal on his lap.

"Yeah I think it's great" he replied, not turning to look at what she was referring to

"You didn't even take a look at it"

"Whatever it is, I know it's great"

"We're supposed to be choosing these things together, Freddie. But you're turning it into a one sided thing" she pouted and he sighed, squeezing his eyes shut before slowly opening them and plastering a smile.

"It's not like that, Tori. Everything you choose is perfect for me. You have a good taste and I have faith in that" he placed a hand on her cheek. "The wedding's this Saturday. Barely two days away. I don't want you getting stressed before then" she smiled. "I trust you"

"Merci (Thank you). And Sorry for my earlier outburst"

"It's okay" he gave her a tight lipped smile before getting to his feet, immediately feeling a sharp pain his chest and he stumbled back.

"Are you okay?" Victoria asked, helping him to steady himself. "You should really be careful and take care of your health. The heart is pretty complicated, you know?"

"Yeah. Thanks for worrying about me"

"You don't need to thank me, silly" she giggled. "We're going to have a fairytale wedding" she smiled and turned to the Wedding planner. "I think you should leave now. It's quite late. You can come back tomorrow for the last minute decisions"

"Sure. Goodnight" she said and smiled at the couple.

"You'd think mum had everything planned out before now" Alfred muttered under his breath, loosening Victoria's grip on his hand.

"Actually, Elizabeth and Oncle Philippe have everything planned right down to the very minute" she guiltily looked at him. "We've actually been planning for a long time. We're just making some last minute arrangements. And Elizabeth wanted to make sure there isn't something you want and it isn't there" he smiled down at her.

"It's actually fine. I don't really care about the decorations. All I care about is getting married. To you" her whole face lit up at his words and a bright smile appeared. She engulfed him in a hug and he let out an exasperated sigh. Guess I should start getting that pre nup ready he thought, glancing down at the girl squeezing him.

"Nice to see you two getting cozy" a voice Alfred recognized to be Claire's spoke behind them and he raised his head up. Victoria released him with a smug grin, hand still lingering on his waist making Claire scoff as if saying 'if only you knew'. Letting out a deep breath, she spoke.

"Mrs. Smith wants you here first thing in the morning for the dress fitting. The designer would be here"

"Why won't it just be delivered to my house?"

"She wants to see how you good you look into it" she gave her a sickly sweet smile.

"Just like the control freak she is" Alfred mumbled

"Or you can just stay over" Elizabeth's voice greeted the living room and she got down the stairs dressed in a simple night gown and a wicked smile on her face. "You can just stay here, Victoria. I'm sure you can find something in Kendall's wardrobe to wear for the night"

"It isn't that late, Elizabeth" Victoria tried to protest but the smile that appeared on her face betrayed her.

"Just take the offer, Victoria. You can stay over. I'm sure Alfred wouldn't mind" she turned to her son