Chapter Seven

Kaitlyn looked at the the officer, curiously as a forensic officer walked out and strolled towards them looking straight at each of them as if trying to see through them. He took a deep breath, taking off his mask and turned to Dominic.

"She had a drug overdose- cocaine to be more specific" he said. "She died due to that. Alongside an abortion pill"

"It's the same as the bottle found near her body this afternoon" the officer added "but there are also signs of assault on her body. For example the bruises on her stomach, neck and hands. Like she was been grabbed and throttled"

"Wasn't there something like fingernails, hair or something?" Troy asked.

"There aren't any. The staff in the house said there was a power outage for at least ten minutes. The murder could have taken place then"

"So Kaitlyn is free then right?" Rafael asked.

"Yes. Her handprint doesn't match the one found on Haisley's body. It's that of a man. But we might still need her for future investigation"

"Are you sure she's free to go?" Dominic asked and the officer sighed.

"She's fine. We're going to continue our investigation. Your family and staff can't leave the country till the investigation is over" Kaitlyn's phone buzzed and she groaned seeing the ID.

"I have to go home" She informed her friends as the officer and Dominic stepped aside to have a private talk.

"Yeah you need to cool your head after all this" Katherine suggested.

"Well where I'm going has everything but 'cooling of the head'. It's my grandmother" Katherine sighed as Rafael stuffed his hands into the pockets of his coat.

"Of course"

"She's probably worried about you" Troy suggested "anybody would" Anyone but Alfred, Kaitlyn thought He should have at least left a message. Maybe he doesnt know. Come on, Kaitlyn be real he obviously doesn't know. Cause if he does, he'd call, right?

"I think I better leave" Kaitlyn said, standing up.

"You came with me, remember?" Troy asked her.

"No I'll call a cab. You don't need to worry"

"We could just drop you" Rafael suggested

"I'm fine. I need to clear my head first and a cab is a great place for that so thanks" she smiled

"We'll also be leaving" Katherine said "we don't have anything to do here"

"Be careful" Troy warned Kaitlyn as she walked towards the exit.

"Sure" she said, disappearing.

****
Kaitlyn watched as they passed the snow filled houses, stopping in front of her grandmother's mansion and bring her out of her thoughts. The fact that Haisley was dead just seemed too surreal. Like it was some sort of weird dream and she would soon wake up. Or maybe it was a prank, someone was recording it and would soon show up to laugh at her telling her it was a prank. But as much as she wanted that, it wouldn't happen. She was gone for real.

She had come to the understanding that Haisley wasn't bad at all, she was human after all. All she wanted was some positivity and love in her life. Her mother was half worried and all her father ever cared about was how much money he was getting. She wondered if her own father would have treated her like that if he was alive. Or maybe worse.

"We're here" the cab driver spoke, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Yeah sure. Thanks" she gave him the dollar bills and stepped out. The pathway had already been cleared of snow as her grandmother hated it. If it was up to her, snow would have ceased to exist as 'it only causes a nuisance'.