Chapter Forty-Two

Alfred opened his eyes, the sun rays from the little window falling right on his face. He smiled, feeling Kaitlyn's naked body on his, covered with a coat. His smile widened when he felt her snuggle deeper into him and he ran a hand through her hair before laying her back on her back.

Checking his phone, he realized it was already late morning and he had several missed calls from his mother, Kendall and Troy. Putting on his clothes, he decided to walk back to the mountain to get Kaitlyn's car since the snowstorm had seized. He smiled once again when he noticed Kaitlyn was still sound asleep, her chest rising with every breath she took after taking the car keys from the pocket of her jeans.

Walking back, he noticed the damage the snowstorm the day before had caused but couldn't wipe the smile off his face as memories of the night kept flashing in his mind.

....
Kaitlyn bit her lower lip as she groaned, the pain between her legs making her snap her eyes open. Quickly sitting up, she noticed she was half naked and looked around for Alfred only to find herself alone in the barn, the small ray of sunlight illuminating it. She ran a hand through her hair and sucked the inside of her cheek as she put on her clothes. Walking barefooted to the makeshift kitchen, she grabbed a water bottle from the fridge, contemplating her previous night's decision which she had made in a vulnerable state.

Groaning again, pinched the bridge of her nose after slamming the bottle on the counter due to the soreness between her thighs -reminding her of what she had done. As though mocking her. Alfred had said he loved her, she could feel the sincerity in his voice and the honesty in his eyes. But he had said he didn't have a choice but get married to Victoria; so ultimately, he wasn't hers. He would still be getting married to Victoria in the end. She wiped the lone tear on her cheek when she heard the stopping of a car engine outside the barn.

Walking out, she watched Alfred shut her car door, lock it, run a hand through his hair and walk towards her with a nervous smile. She folded her arms making him raise a brow at her attitude.

"Are you fine?" He looked down and noticed she was barefoot. "Why are you walking around barefoot? You're not even covered up. Come on" he took her hand in his and she took it back. "What's up with you? Are you sick?" He took her arm again and she resisted.

"We need to talk" he smiled, blushing a little.

"Yeah, I guess we do. But trust me, I don't regret anything. I'm glad my first time was with you" he cupped her face with a smile and she found her heart melting especially the way the words rolled around his accent. "Let's get inside else you'll catch a cold" he smiled again and pulled her into the barn. "Put your shoes on, we need to get back"

She watched him get one of his coats from the ground, dust it and place it on her shoulders, his smile still intact.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked, almost in a whisper, making him furrow his brows.

"Doing what?" He stepped closer to her, noticing the confusion in her eyes.

"You're in love me but you're getting married to someone else. It doesn't make any sense. I really can't deal with it" he let out an exasperated breath and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I explained everything last night, Kaye. I really don't have a choice. I swear"

"Then maybe we should end whatever it is between us, Al. Since it won't lead to anything. We better end it ourselves before we're forced to"

"I promise I'm looking for a way"

"What if you don't? What if there isn't any?"

"The Fuck are you saying?"