Chapter Six

"What happened to her?" Troy asked as more pictures of Haisley were been taken.

"She had a miscarriage" the cop explained "we came up with three theories according to the marks on her body. One, she was hit so many times. Two, she hit herself and three she hit something and this happened. But according to the marks on her stomach, the foetus could have also died due to external factors"

"Why would anyone kill her baby?" Kaitlyn asked "and why would she kill her her baby herself? What about her death?"

"That is what we're trying to figure out, Ms. Hernandez. And as for her death, her head was injured and she bled to death coupled by a broken neck. I suppose the accident occurred on the counter due to the amount of blood there" he pointed at a counter opposite where they stood.

"And what does Kaitlyn have to do with this?" Troy asked.

"She was the last person Haisley contacted just twenty minutes ago"

"So?"

"She might be able to tell us something"

"What about the staff?"

"The only staff available were in their quarters. The rest were granted leave to go see their families for the Christmas break. The power was cut off so they didn't see anything. But they didn't hear anything either. Neither screaming, struggling or breaking of anything. Though there seems to be signs of it"

"What about the guards? I mean if someone came in and killed Haisley then the guards must have seen them, right?"

"There was no such thing, young man. Ms. Hernandez has to come with us"

"But if no one was in, what does Kaitlyn have to do with it all? She's been home since morning and-"

"I'll come with you" Kaitlyn interrupted him. He looked at her in disbelief but she kept her face straight, looking at the cop in front of her.

"Let's go" he said and walked away as Haisley's body was been taken out of the crime scene barriers along with the CSI Agents.

"Are you crazy?" Troy asked once they got outside. "You do know this could be a homicide and not suicide, don't you?

"I do. And I'll tell them all I know about it. It isn't much but it might go a long way. Haisley isn't bad a person as people make her out to be. She's just a little confused and in need of positive energy around her" she looked at Vesper and Valerie who were standing at a corner getting ready to vacate the house as per the cops's order. Troy sighed, knowing she had already made up her mind.

"Let's go"

****
Alfred walked into his office adjusting his vest and running a hand through his ever curly hair and sank on the executive chair, his eyes trained on the framed picture of him and Kaitlyn Troy had sent as a Christmas gift then to the other one he had of only her. She had a big smile on her face which made the  mole just below her lips more pronounced. The longer he stared at the picture, the more his heart ached.

He had immersed himself in his work just so he could think less about her but the more he did, the more the thought of her stuck to his mind. Two years; even after two years he was still in love with her as much as he was the day he left. If not more. Not once, not twice. Too many times he had tempted to call her, or at least reply to one of her numerous texts but the thought of his mother stopped him. She wasn't one to be double crossed and he knew better than to test her limits as she had none.

Even though he had asked Troy to take care of Kaitlyn, he knew it wasn't enough and had to go back as soon as possible before his mother did anything again. Two years of silence wasn't a good sign. It was the calm before the storm and he knew it would be a big one.