Chapter One

Shai POV:

I'm sitting in the waiting room for my audition. I'm auditioning for the part of Beatrice 'Tris' Prior. I'm so nervous about the chance of being apart of a franchise, I keep fidgeting, I must learn to stop fidgeting. It's such a bad habit. After what feels like a lifetime, a young man opens a door and calls "Shailene Woodley." His voice was soft, although it wasn't enough to hide the shaking in my hands and arms. I decided to shake it off and be brave. As I walked in Neil Burger stood up to shake my hand and show me the lines I'd be going over. It was the ferris wheel scene. I remember looking at this scene in bed last night. I loved Tris' first real connection with Four. I wonder who they've picked to play him. I take a deep breath and get into character saying the lines how I imagined them when I read the book. When I finished the audition there was a look in Neil's eyes, it was a good look, like a look of relief. I heard the door open behind me and it was Veronica Roth, Neil smiled and said "I've found her. I've found Tris." Veronica laughed and replied "good, because she was our last applicant." Neil looked at me and said "we saved the best till last." I already felt more comfortable around Neil, as if we'd known each other for a while, I asked him if he'd chosen a Four yet, and he hadn't. Audition for Four are tomorrow, and he asked me to come along, so they have someone to audition with. I agreed, and I felt a lot more confident leaving than I did arriving.