Chapter 3: You Can't Die

Start from the beginning

"Make sure he doesn't break his teeth or bite his tongue off," I tell her. She puts the cloth into his mouth, as I thread the needle.

"We are doing this. How the fuck did we just pull that off?" Shawn cheers happily. I squeeze Michaels skin together, making the first suture. He screams into the shirt, waking up out of his comatose state. Kyleigh holds him down as I make the next one. The walkie talkie goes off in his pocket.

Why is there screaming?

We look to the walkie talkie and see Kyleighs knee pressed down on the talk button, "Fuck, Erica just hurry," She moves it quickly looking at me with worried eyes. Niall grabs it and tries to fill them in as I make the last suture.

"Michael I'm really sorry but this is gonna hurt," I tell him. I make the final stitch, pulling the needle to tighten it. He grimaces at the sight of me tying off the thread. I place more bandages over the wound to protect the thread.

"Can I talk to them?" He asks, holding onto his side. Niall passes back the walkie, he's too weak to hold.

Michael? Michael? What happened?

Michael goes to speak, interrupting himself to tell us to turn right. He sits up in the backseat, groaning at the pain in his side. His eyes fluttering in between open and closed.

"Thank you...I thought I was going to die out there," he says, sounding out of breath. Kyleigh smiles, looking through the front window.

"One more left and it's the house with the blue door," he tells us.

"I'm Niall...just thought you should know,"he says, sending a calm energy throughout the car. The red head laughs, looking excited when he sees the house.

"I'm Michael," he tells us.

"Kyleigh"

"Shawn"

"Erica"

Shawn pulls into the driveway, turning around, "How many people are in there?" He asks, pulling his knife out. Michael shifts in his seat, clutching his side. Kyleigh and I look at Shawn confused.

"It's my friends. There are 3 guys in there...we don't want any trouble. I'm assuming you don't either cause of how you patched me up," he says, eyeing up the way the knife sits in Shawn's hand. I go to stop his interrogation methods when the front door opens. Three boys hesitantly come outside looking on edge. They look like they haven't slept all night. A tall boy with blonde hair, a tanner boy with dark hair, and another boy with curly hair topped with a bandana.

"See I was telling the truth," he whispers. Shawn and Niall get out of the car with their knives and talk to them. We can't hear anything through the broken window.

"Michael, it's gonna be okay. We seriously don't want trouble," Kyleigh tell him. I nod my head and see the two groups talking still.

"We just want Michael...is he okay?" A guy asks, putting his knife on the ground.

"Fuck this," I whisper. Kyleigh follows my lead helping Michael walk over to the guys. It may have been a trap but I wouldn't want someone to keep Kyleigh away from me if she was hurt. The boys all hug the red head, looking relieved to see him alive.

"Who was I talking to?" A guy asks looking between Kyleigh and I.

"Nice to meet you Luke," she says, trying to hide the blood on her clothes. They start leading the boy inside to give him rest. Shawn and Niall open the car doors when one of them interrupts us, "We have food...it's the least we can do for helping Michael," they offer. I look to Kyleigh and see her walking into the house with no hesitation. Shawn tries to stop her but she doesn't listen.

"I'm Ashton, it's nice to meet you guys," he smiles, shutting the door behind us. I follow behind Kyleigh into their kitchen, passing by Michael laying on the couch.

My eyes instantly lock with a bowl of fresh strawberries. Ashton laughs pushing the bowl over, "they are from the neighbors garden, eat," he tells me.

"Why are you guys so nice?" Shawn says looking skeptical, keeping his hand on his knife. Niall sits down on their chair finally relaxing after a long night, as Kyleigh goes into the living room to check on Michael.

"You saved our best friend. It's kind of hard not to like you guys," The tan boys says as he walks into the kitchen. I glance into the living room quickly seeing Kyleigh laughing with Luke and Michael.

"I'm Calum, you're Erica right?" He asks, he sees my confused face and smiles, "I heard you in the car. You stitched up Mikey, right?" He asks. I nod my head and finish chewing the berry in my mouth.

"That's pretty badass," Ashton says, throwing a banana to Niall. I look at him to see him staring at the fruit in his hands.

"We should get going. Daylight is limited and we can't be out in the open like last night," Shawn tells us. I point to the bowl and Ashton just nods his head. I don't know who this man is but he just made my week.

"The neighbors house is empty. We have been here since the beginning. No one ever comes by these houses," Calum tells us, walking into the living room. Kyleigh widens her eyes at the boy and I give her the same look back.

"I'm gonna go pee, Kyleigh mind coming with," I ask. She gets up off the floor and follows me outside. A small path leading to a bench by a fence.

"Do you trust them?" I ask, once out of earshot. She leans against a fence, watching as I pick at the weeds whiles sitting on the stone structure.

"They seem nice. Shawn seems iffy about the whole thing. We could have a small group though,"she tells me. A walker wonders down the street a little ways down, bringing us out of our conversation.

"They offered to let us stay in the house next door. I think we should take them up on their offer," I state. She nods her head, walking with me back to the house. Her hip nudges me before we open the door.

"Doesn't hurt that they're easy on the eyes either," she says making me laugh. I pause with my hand on the doorknob and look at her.

"This feels right. Being here I mean. It feels like it was supposed to happen"

She grabs the handle pushing it open seeing the guys in a serious discussion, "What's going on?" I ask. Shawn stands up, lifting his shirt to show a bite mark. A bandage hanging off from the wound. Kyleigh and I freeze as he explains what happened.

"Why didn't you tell us?" I ask, feeling tears in my eyes. Niall sits quietly on the couch, staring at the injury.

"We had Michael and he was the priority," he tells us. Niall abruptly stands up off the couch, leaving the room looking pissed, as the rest of us stand there, "I know it sucks but you guys are in good hands now," he whispers, pulling Kyleigh in for a hug.

"That's why you were so adamant on making sure these guys were decent. You knew you were gonna die before we even met Michael didn't you?" I ask, as he pulls me into his arm. I wrap my arms around him, trying not to break down. He's too young to die. This shouldn't be happening.

"Everything's okay," he whispers, flattening my hair down.

"Shawn...we need you," I whisper, as Kyleigh goes to find Niall, "you can't die".