Epilogue

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

I step out of the elevator and pull my apartment keys out of my purse. I walk down the hallway until I get to Apartment 403 and I unlock the door. When I walk in, I see Erica sitting on the couch watching a horror movie.

"Hey," I say as I shut the door behind me.

"Hi!" She smiles and pauses the episode, "How was work?"

I involuntarily roll my eyes, "Long. The espresso machine broke again and people were complaining about it all day."

"That sucks. People are dumb," She declares.

"I agree," I say, throwing my bag on a chair and taking off my shoes, "Did you see all the cops outside the building?"

"Yeah. There have been cops everywhere today. I saw them all over the road while I was driving home from work."

"That's interesting," I furrow my eyebrows.

"It's probably nothing. Shit is always happening in New York," Erica shrugs, "By the way, there's some leftover pizza in the fridge if you're hungry. I just put it away," She informs me.

"Oh my God, pizza sounds so good right now," I say. I quickly wash my hands and then walk over to the fridge to grab a slice. Erica hits play on the episode, and I eat my pizza as we watch it. When the episode ends, I tell her I am going to take a shower. I walk into my bedroom and pull out some clothes before entering the bathroom and turning on the water. I blast a random playlist before stepping in. My shoulders instantly relax and I end up just standing under the hot water doing absolutely nothing for a few minutes. I finally start my shower routine and grab the shampoo. I'm in the middle of singing along to a song when I suddenly hear a loud bang from outside and I momentarily freeze, waiting for Erica to say something.

"Erica? Are you okay?" I call out.

There are a few seconds of silence before I hear, "Uh yeah, I'm fine."

"Okay," I respond. I quickly rinse the shampoo out of my hair and grab the conditioner. I go back to singing my music when all of a sudden, the lights start to flicker above me before completely going out. My heart immediately speeds up and I rinse the conditioner out of my hair as quickly as I can before turning off the water and wrapping a towel around myself. I struggle to see anything as I blindly reach for my phone. As soon as I find it, I quickly turn off the music and turn on the flashlight. I walk out into the living room and I see Erica sitting on the couch with wide eyes.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I have no idea," She stands up and looks out the window, "It looks like the entire street went out."

"Damn. Of course it had to happen at night," I sigh. I walk into our storage closet and grab two flashlights. I walk back to the living room and hand her one, "Here, we should probably save our phone batteries."

"Thanks," She says while taking one, "I'm going to go check with Timothee to see if he knows what happened."

"Sounds good. I'll get changed and meet you out there."

I walk into my room and get changed before brushing my hair and slipping on my slippers. I walk out into the hallway and see a few different groups of people quietly talking all down the hallway. I spot Timothee Chalamet, Maya Hawke, and Erica talking one door down. I walk over and join in on their conversation.

"Hey, Kyleigh," Maya greets me.

"Hey. What's going on?" I question.

"We don't really know. No one is in the lobby to tell us why the power went out or when it's coming back. The entire block lost power," Timothee informs me.

"That's weird," I say. I suddenly remember all the cops from before, "Are the cops still there?"

"The cars are there but no one has seen anyone," He explains.

I'm about to speak when there is an ear-piercing scream.

"What the fuck was that?" Erica asks.

A second later, there is another blood-curdling scream, but it abruptly stops. Everyone in the hallway goes deadly silent. I immediately feel anxiety wash over me and my heart feels like it's going to burst.

All of a sudden, all of our phones light up. I turn it over to read a message from the Emergency Alert System.

EMERGENCY BROADCAST MESSAGE.

PLEASE BE ADVISED.

CIVIL AUTHORITIES HAVE ISSUED A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE WARNING FOR YOUR AREA UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

"A contagious disease warning?" Maya gasps.

I want to say something but no words come out. I have absolutely no idea what is happening or what to do. The door to the stairs slams open causing everyone to jump, and we see a police officer trying to catch his breath. There is blood gushing down his arm and I can't tell if it's his or someone else's.

"EVERYONE, GET INSIDE YOUR APARTMENT. LOCK THE DOOR. ISOLATE YOURSELVES IF POSSIBLE. DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL EITHER THE POWER COMES BACK ON OR A PERSON OF AUTHORITY TELLS YOU OTHERWISE."

No one moves for a second as we all stand in shock.

"MOVE. NOW." The cop screams, and everyone suddenly springs into action. I briefly glance at Timothee and Maya before Erica and I run back to our apartment and do as the cops says. We lock the door and even try to barricade it.

"What do we do now?" I ask, slightly panicked.

"I don't know what else we can do," Erica says, looking just as panicked as I feel. I reach out for some matches and light a few candles so we can use them instead of the flashlights. We decide to bring the candles to Erica's room and lock ourselves in there.

"What's your phone percentage at?" I ask.

"64, what about you?" She replies.

"76, which isn't terrible. One of us should probably turn their phone off to save the battery for as long as possible," I suggest.

"You can turn yours off," She offers, "I'm going to quickly see if I can find out what the fuck is going on."

I nod and shut my phone down. Erica's eyes widen and her face pales as she scrolls through her phone.

"What?" I ask.

She slightly shakes her head, "I don't know. Apparently there have been cases of the dead coming back to life? It started in California a couple days ago and now it has come to the east coast."

"You're joking," I gasp, "How have we not heard about this?"

"The government was probably trying to keep it a secret," She replies and keeps scrolling.

I take a deep breath and try to get my thoughts in order, "So what you're telling me is that we're living in a..."

She looks up and makes direct eye contact with me before finishing my thought, "We're living in a fucking zombie apocalypse."