89

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟗: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐱𝐢𝐦𝐨𝐟𝐟'𝐬 𝐯𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐥𝐥𝐮𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢.

"Our Strange did not die defeating Thanos. We were at war." Charles Xavier told Athena and Stephen. There was a slight pause. "While the rest of us banded together to try to stop Thanos, Stephen, as always, chose to go it alone." He then added. Athena waited for the bad in that statement. "He turned to the Darkhold. Began dreamwalking. In hopes that our salvation might lie in the Multiverse." Mordo said.

"And guess what?" Maria then asked. "It didn't. But he kept doing it anyway?" Athena responded. "Mhm, you'd be correct." Maria nodded. Stephen furrowed his eyebrows in slight confusion. "One day, you called us all together, to profess that you've been dream-walking." Reed chimed in. "And in your words, Athena, 'things have gotten out of hand.'" Reed told Athena.

"My doppelganger had a part in this?" She asked. "She was there when the other Stephen dreamwalked, and you had a part in what happened next." Peggy told her. "You never told us the details of what had happened. Only that you had inadvertently triggered an incursion. You, Stephen, our friend, had caused the annihilation of another universe." Reed then said.

"Everyone in that reality died. Everyone." Maria told Athena and Stephen. It was Stephen that was flabbergasted. "Stephen renounced the Darkhold. He even helped us find the Book of Vishanti. A weapon we did use to kill him, to defeat Thanos. Thus, one final threat remained." Charles explained. Xavier showed Athena and Stephen what had happened with his telepathy.

"I shall miss you, my friend." Charles told 838 Stephen, who was on the ground in defeat. Thanos was dead in the foreground. The illuminati stood in front of Stephen, clearly disappointed in the actions that came to this. "I'm ready." Stephen nodded. Black Bolt stood in front of Stephen. "I'm sorry." Black Bolt said and the power that came from that killed Stephen almost instantly.

"Did you tell Christine? And... Well, this Earth's Athena?" Stephen asked them. "Yes. Athena wasn't there when the other Stephen died because she refused to witness the death." Reed told them. "That statue... What about the statue? You built a statue." Stephen stammered. "The world needs heroes. We made a difficult choice because we knew what our Strange was capable of." Peggy told them.

Athena waited for what came next, as Peggy had paused. "Or perhaps, every Doctor Strange is capable of." Peggy then said. The alarm started blaring right at that moment. Athena and Stephen exchanged glances—Wanda. "The building's been breached." Reed said. "No shit, genius." Stephen muttered. "Athena," Stephen said, but she didn't respond, she was wondering if now would be a time to get the Darkhold.

"Status report, all sentries." Peggy said. A hologram security system was shown in front of them all. Wanda was shown on the screen—she had dream-walked into her doppelganger's body and destroyed several Ultron bots. "She's headed for the child." Maria said, slightly stunned. "Watch him. We'll vote on our return." Peggy told Mordo.