83

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟑: 𝐀𝐧 𝐄𝐲𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐀𝐧 𝐄𝐲𝐞.

No one said a word. It was dead silent. They watched as black veins slowly began to crawl up Noah's forearms. Athena was still panic filled, as his pulse remained weak. In a matter of seconds the serum was noticed on his face, as black veins crawled up his neck and face. Noah's eyes then suddenly opened and he let out a gasp—his eyes pitch black. The bleeding stopped, and it was clear the injury had healed itself. Athena let out a sigh of relief, as it meant Noah would be back to normal soon.

"Noah?" Peter asked in a lower volume. "Peter, hey. Hi. Hola." Noah said, as his eyes slowly faded away to their normal color. "Hey, buddy." Peter said, as he prepared to inject Noah with the metahuman cure once the Void-X was completely unnoticeable. "We've missed having you around." Noah murmured. "I missed having you guys around too." Peter nodded. He turned to Athena, who nodded, and then Peter went to inject the serum into Noah's arm.

Before Peter got a chance to do that Noah closed his eyes. Kate furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, as she thought he seemed fine again. There was a second of silence before Kate let out a sharp gasp. Noah's hand gripped onto Kate's forearm and had been burning her somehow. Athena grabbed Noah's hand and pried it off Kate, but it was soon that Athena felt the heat in his hand and it began to burn her too.

"What was that?" Kate asked in shock and confusion. "The Void inside him is trying to take control of Noah's body." Athena and Peter said in accidental unison, but their tone both filled with worry. Although something was interesting about the statement Athena and Peter had come to. "Use the cure!" Kate exclaimed. Right as Kate said this, and right as Peter was about to do so, it stopped.

Noah's hand fell out of Athena's grasp. It only took a second before Noah started seizing in front of them. He started shaking uncontrollably. Peter turned Noah on his side while Athena held Noah's head in support. Kate took her phone out to call 991, as she wasn't sure what else to do. Only the second she turned away from Noah, she saw Theo stand up and head towards the door back into the building. She wasn't sure what to do, but seeing as Peter and Athena were with Noah, Kate followed after Theo.

It stopped. Noah stopped seizing. It completely stopped just as abruptly as it came. Peter carefully made it so Noah was lying back down on his back. Athena put two fingers on the side of his neck to check his pulse, but there wasn't one. By the stunned and fearful look on Athena's face, Peter knew what had happened. "No, no, no, no. This isn't happening. This isn't happening again." Athena murmured to herself, as she shook her head in disbelief.

"No, but... The serum was supposed to heal him..." Peter's voice was barely audible, as he was in a state of shock. "The metahuman cure, would that turn him human?" Peter had asked himself this question, not having realized he said it out loud. "It wouldn't matter anymore because he's dead nonetheless." Athena's tone was dull, and more lifeless by the minute. She was holding back tears by now.