Chapter 50

The starlight glittered overhead, mingling with the headlights of cars and roars of people that walked past us; enjoying the night life in the city. Renzo had the driver drop us off farther from the restaurant so we could enjoy an evening stroll. Just the two of us.

My hand rested in the crook of his elbow as we meandered down the sidewalk to a destination I still didn't know of. The cool summer breeze mixed with his citrus scent was absolutely perfect.

I could get used to this.

He stuck another little cigar between his teeth but didn't light it as we weaved through the crowd around us. His eyes were bright. He was happy, happier than I'd ever seen him.

But I still couldn't shake my worries concerning his father. "Renzo?" I whispered and he glanced down at me.

"Yes, Tesoro mio?" His eyes lingered locked onto mine, something caressing them. 

Simplicity.

I studied the contours of his face for a moment, soaking in the distinct power that coursed from his frame. "Your father still has a phone. Wouldn't that mean Tomasso can still contact him?"

His lips curled upwards and he bumped me with his shoulder. "Yes, he could. Except I was already aware of that." He pulled his phone out of his right pocket and wiggled it at me. On the screen, it said download complete. "Any incoming or outgoing message, email, phone call, anything from either his phone or Gianna's is now filtered through myself, James, and Brick. We can deny it or allow it through."

I clicked my tongue but smiled as he placed it back into his pocket. "I'm pretty sure that's not exactly legal." I teased.

He chuckled. "Ah, you've caught me. Take me away, officer." I shook my head, but couldn't help myself. I was enjoying this feeling. This openness that was suddenly oddly abundant between him and I.

"Where are we going for dinner?" I asked, gripping his left arm with both of my hands and walking a little closer to him. As close as I could. He glanced down at me and smiled once more. It slowly widened into a grin and for a moment, he looked less burdened.

"Lorenzo's."

I gasped and clamped a hand over my mouth. "No. Way. How'd you pull that off? Lily and I have been trying to get into that place since it opened. But the reservations list is six months in advance and the line outside the door each night is endless." Releasing my hands from his arm, I danced ahead of him in delight. This place was the place to eat, serving authentic Italian dishes and more.

Renzo watched me, grinning before reaching out and grabbing my hand. He spun me around and then tucked me back against his body. "It helps to own the place."

My feet stopped moving of their own accord. "Own? As in you own Lorenzo's?"

He nodded. "My name is Renzo, my mom's dad is Lorenzo. So I named it Lorenzo after him and all of the recipes he taught me."

"AND you cook?" An exasperated squeal left my mouth.

"What?" He glanced at me. "Do you think all I know how to do are illegal things? Oliver Hunt is a legitimate business man."

I grimaced and then shrugged my shoulders, his hand grasped mine again and pulled me forward. It hadn't really crossed my mind that he might actually be a decent entrepreneur outside of the Mafia that he ran. But then again, it shouldn't surprise me as much as it had. He was built to be the boss. Of everything he wanted to do.

He chuckled as we rounded a corner and sparkling lights flooded the street. There it was, a beautiful two story brick building with an elegant neon sign. Lorenzo's was written in cursive above the double black, glass paned door. A massive line of people trailed down the sidewalk, everyone dressed quite nicely just hoping to get in. Just hoping that someone canceled their reservations or missed their time.