Chapter 4

As I watched him leave, his posture altered. Something changed, the softness that I had seen and experienced was immediately gone; replaced by an extremely intimidating and powerful presence. I couldn't explain it, but I knew he wasn't just some ordinary thirty something year old man. There were layers to him, layers that screamed at me to run. But the gentle way with which he had taken care of me, pushed any rational thoughts from my head. It even shoved out the fear that had enveloped me while being in his presence.

I stopped the door from completely closing as he sauntered away and stepped quietly back into the noisy dance hall. A shriek of excitement startled me from my trance and caused me to turn as Lily crashed against me, a little tipsy.

"Oh my goodness. Did you just come back with who I think you came with?" She swayed a little off balance, and I steadied her with one hand.

"Who? Oliver?" I asked as she batted her long eyelashes and bobbed her head vigorously at me.

"Yes! You know who he is right?" She responded and I slowly began leading her over to a vacant lounge couch.

"I mean, I just met him. Is there something I should know about him?" I questioned as she plopped onto the cushions, lying awkwardly on her side.

"From what my dad has said, he's the biggest and richest man here. My father has been trying to get on his good side to work for him since his current boss isn't quite as well off." She took another large swig of her drink and I slowly grabbed it from her hands. Signaling for a waiter to come take her drink, I chewed on this information.

"I don't see how this affects me? He was just being kind." I answered and she almost spit out the last bit of liquid in her mouth before swallowing.

"Oliver Hunt is not known for his kindness, Aedlin." She said and then flopped completely on her back. Pointing to the ceiling she giggled and I realized she wasn't just tipsy, but completely drunk.

"I think it's time we get you home." I gently lifted her up as her head swiveled on her neck, flopping in my direction and I pressed her towards the exit.

She mumbled something as we passed through the doors and back down the grand staircase. I couldn't help but marvel one more time at the intricate designs etched into the marble before we stepped into the cold snowy night.

Freshly fallen snow covered a once shoveled drive as our limousine pulled around to pick us up. The night was silent except for the soft music that escaped the mansion and the tires crunching over the snow. It was bitter cold, but something kept me from shivering. Something that had stoked a flame of excitement and terror inside me and I pulled open the door before shoving Lily inside.

The drive home was a blur to me as my mind couldn't stop thinking about those flame colored eyes or the way he had gently helped clean up the blood. He had protected me and yet known nothing about me. Lily's words haunted me a little bit for I somehow knew deep in my soul that there was a side of him that was truly terrifying. A side I didn't want to be on.

His voice had been so deep and powerful, yet kind and tender towards me. Oliver was young, near mine and Lily's age so I also wondered how he was wealthier than even her father. So much so that Marcus wanted to work for him, not with him.

I breathed out a deep sigh as we drove under the familiar archway to Liliana's home. Stupid for me to be obsessing over him when I would never see him again; I needed to let it go and help get my best friend to bed.

One of the gentlemen that worked for her father rushed out and opened the door to the Limo as we came to a stop. Lily stumbled out, barely conscious of what was going on and the door swung open to give us entrance to her beautiful and slightly over the top home. I still wondered how I had been so lucky to end up with a best friend that accepted me despite our financial and social class differences, but here we were.

The color scheme here was completely different from the bright white and red that had enveloped the mansion of our party locations. Rich plum purples and deep oak walls and flooring encompassed this home. The entranceway held an illuminating mystery to it, the dark shades of the rugs dampening the echoes from footsteps. It was a square shape that held massive portraits of Liliana and her parents. Two columns held the ceiling to the left that gave way to a beautiful sitting room with couches that had never actually been sat in.

A long hallway stretched forward that would let out at the bottom of two staircases that wrapped against the wall, leading up to the floors that held the bedrooms; more than necessary with Liliana being an only child. However, I had been forever grateful for the room they had to spare after spending most of my childhood here.

On the main floor if you continued to the left you would find yourself in a grand dining hall connected to a kitchen that again, had too many employees to feed just three people. Behind the staircases you would find an immense library that I only dreamed to have one even half the size. A couple offices and lounge rooms filled the empty space with a theater room and gym that Liliana and I played in often growing up.

We slowly ascended the dark, wooden staircase to the right. Lily leaned against my body and I practically dragged her up the plush carpeted steps as she passed out in my arms. Turning to my right, her feet slid across the floor as we clambered down the dimly lit hallway.

Upon reaching her bedroom, I turned the door handle and swung it open, finally plopping her down on the bed. The plush pink of her comforter softened the landing and she cuddled up into the pillows as I sat down on the edge of it to rest for a moment. Her vanity matched the same bright pink from her bed and was littered with more makeup and hair products than I had ever owned.

It lay directly across from her bed, next to the doorway that would lead to one of the most extravagant bathrooms I had come to see. Her walk-in closet was probably as large as my room had been growing up, yet there wasn't much space left for any more clothing. It had one of those seats in the middle of it and it too matched the brightness of her overall themed room.

There was enough clearance in her room for a couch which I had spent many nights on during our sleepovers. Lily was not fun to share a bed with since she liked to roll and kick. I was exhausted by this point and figured Lily could get undressed when she woke up now that she was safe in her bed, so I flicked off the light and softly closed the door behind me.

Padding down the hallway to the room next to hers, I opened the door and entered the chamber that had unofficially become mine since childhood. The dark, rich blues that decorated this room had been something Marcus did for me when he learned of my favorite color. It mirrored Lily's room other than the color scheme and I kicked off my heels, finding relief from the removal of the shoes.

Stripping of my dress, I slung it over the couch and pulled on a new pair of panties and a really baggy tank top. Pairing it with a comfortable, totally unmatching shortie shorts, I climbed into the silk sheets and settled down for a very deep night's rest.