Chapter 45

The sheets below me felt unfamiliar, the clothes that covered my body felt foreign as I slowly blinked the sleep away. I opened my eyes to sunlight pouring in through the windows beside me. Frantically glancing around, it took a moment to realize that I was somehow waking up in the bed of the extra room I'd seen. The fireplace wasn't lit, the closet doors not completely closed to reveal it was empty, yet the sheets on the bed felt fresh and smelled clean.

I could've sworn I fell asleep on the couch last night. Everything from yesterday washed over me like a ton of bricks and I gasped, clamping my hand over my mouth. Oh what an idiot I'd been. Another moment of confusion filled me as my eyes met the hem of the sleeve. A button up that was way too large for me draped over my frame. It smelled oddly like citrus.

Shooting out from the bed, I rushed towards the mirror that sat over the dresser and stared at my reflection. My hair was a mess, knotted onto one side from having slept restless and wild. But it was the dark blue button up that covered me nearly down to my knees that had me shaking. This was not what I'd been wearing when I fell asleep on the couch last night.

And no matter how embarrassed I was, I was more upset that someone had changed my clothes without my permission. I smoothed my hair and then stormed out of my room. Nearly ready to throw open the door to Renzo's room, I paused. No, this would be another overreaction to something he had done out of care for me. But then again, I wasn't even sure if he cared. Maybe I should just knock and at least say good morning, judge his actions from that.

So I knocked and then waited. But no one came, no one answered. So I knocked again and then tested the doorknob to find it unlocked. Hesitating since maybe I shouldn't enter his room without permission, I almost let go of the handle. 

Almost. 

Twisting, I cracked it open and peered into his room. It was empty so I pushed the door open completely and stepped inside.

It was so fitting of him, this dark blue theme. The dark blue reflected who he was as a person, mysterious, burdened, yet beautiful at the same time. No matter how clouded his soul was, he was soft. At least most of the time he had been. At least I thought so. I meandered around his room, staring at the paintings that covered the walls and then stopped at his dresser.

I could just open a drawer and take a peek, he wouldn't notice. But then again, my snooping yesterday had gotten me into problems so I moved on. As I slowly passed the door that led to his bathroom, I could hear the faint sounds of running water. Now it makes sense, he was in here but hadn't answered because he was showering.

Leaving would be the right choice, but when I moved my feet they took me another step closer to the bathroom door. And another. And another until my hand was suddenly turning the handle and pushing the door open.

The floors were a dark gray tile, sparkling clean in here. The walls were a smooth even darker shade of gray than the floor. A marble sink to my right was flat, expanding into a massive counter with a single tall, rectangular mirror just above the matte black faucet. Gray towels were folded neatly to the left of the faucet, next to his toothbrush and toothpaste container. The toilet was to the left between two gray closets and a black rounded bathtub was propped up on a two step higher level.

Faded dim lights littered the ceiling above it but my eyes were quickly drawn to the cloudy glass shower directly across from me. The water was running, spraying down from the ceiling, like a rainy afternoon, warm and inviting. And there was the black silhouette of Renzo.

He was bent forward, one hand pressed against the wall in front of him, bracing himself as the streams of water ran down his back. It dripped from his body, caressing his skin like I wished I could. Even above the spray of the water, I could hear him breathing rapidly. He suddenly slammed a fist against the wall in front of him and grunted.