Chapter 2

The limo pulled behind three others that were approaching an enormous mansion. Just when I thought Lily's home couldn't be topped, here we were at another massive building, just as grand. Twinkling Christmas lights covered almost every wall and pillar that rose into the starlit sky. I gaped at the sight before me, the four towering columns that a grand staircase led up to pass under. Huge double doors made of a dark veiny wood stood tall at the end with large white iron handles that were each shaped in an expertly designed dragon.

The building had four rows of windows, the second and fourth accented with beautiful white iron balconies wrapped in more white twinkling lights. Vines that must bloom beautifully with roses in the spring climbed the sides of the dark brick walls, hanging onto the cold exterior with every shivering breath. A large fountain rose from the ground in the middle of the round-a-bout driveway that was stacked with limousines dropping off the most elegantly dressed men and women.

The fountain itself was interesting in design; once again a white marble that three dragons erupted out of. You could see every scale that had been etched into the stone, intrinsically placed upon the outer layer of the dragons. Water sprayed out of each of their mouths, the two dragons on the side facing parallel to the ground whereas the middle one rose straight into the air. Lights colored the water a hot orange, simulating fire and it pulled me in. Enchanting me with its odd beauty.

Our driver pulled to the front, and a valet opened the door. Marcus exited first and then extended his hand for Liliana. She stepped out in her lush silver dress as if she belonged in this world; carrying herself with a calm poshness. Her ballgown style dress skimmed the ground, the silk layers rustling in the soft breeze. It cinched her waist in delicately tight, and had a very deep v-neck cut, ending at her banded bodice and making the neck line almost non-existent. It was a halter top style and she had wrapped a white fur coat around her arms.

Stepping out of the way, Marcus extended his hand once more for me to exit. I not so gracefully slid out of the limo and stumbled forward on the train of my dress. The dark plum color was accented with black flowered lace on the trim of the fishtail skirt. The mermaid style hugged my curves quite nicely and helped me look a little taller than I actually was. The breeze sent goosebumps across my skin as it brushed against my exposed back from the design.

The trim that surrounded the open back cut was also a black lace and buttoned at the base of my neck. Long sleeves with a beautiful black flowered pattern just lightly embellished the gown and I too, had a deeper v-neck in the front; although it ended much higher than Lily's.

While her hair flowed down her back like a waterfall, the blonde curls bouncing yet staying in their perfect place, my chestnut hair was pulled up into an updo to show off my back. The curls were pinned to the back, just above the nape of my neck and soft accent pieces framed my delicate face. Long black earrings skimmed my shoulders, brushing the top of the satin fabric.

My black heels clicked against the stone stairs that had been cleared of the freshly fallen snow. I had grown up in this bustling city, yet never even known this place existed. I had never even known a place like this existed; it was exquisite and set deep back into some trees on a large piece of land.

The doors were pulled open by two men dressed in a black and white fancy waiter tux, and I stepped through into a grand entrance way. Liliana linked her arm with mine and she practically dragged me forward towards a staircase that floated upwards. The white marble flooring was littered with the same, small dragon designs that were similar to what I had previously seen outside.

Four large columns rose towards the vaulted ceiling, two on each side of the staircase that supported the ledge from above. The party must be held mainly upstairs as the crowd slowly drifted up the red carpeted staircase. I felt like I had stepped into a fictional movie mansion as the twinkling lights glittered to each side of me, softly guiding the flood of people up the stairs.