Chapter 53

Renzo's eyes shot up and he scanned the darkness. Latching onto the movement that pried my eyes from the horrifying sight, Tomasso strutted out from the treeline to our right. "Hello, Oliver."

"Get inside now!" Renzo ordered me and I shook my head.

Tomasso chuckled. "Can't even control your own woman." He taunted.

Renzo pursed his lips and pointed to the house. "Take my mum, and go inside now." I could hear a hint of fear etch across his voice. He was telling me this out of his need to protect me so I nodded twice and reached for his mother's wheelchair.

He turned to face an approaching Tomasso who was laughing. "The f*** did you do?" Renzo hissed back, stepping threateningly towards him and then a shot rang out and the most searing pain crashed through my abdomen.

I stumbled backwards, clutching at the entry wound. Clutching at the burning sensation that ripped through my body. "Renzo." I whispered and his eyes widened as he glanced at me and saw me pressing against my blood stained stomach. He lunged at me, his face tight with worry. I blinked. Attempting to breathe deeply and avoid the agony that was flooding my body.

"I wouldn't dare, Renzo DeMarchi." Tomasso said. My eyes flashed wide with shock as Renzo faltered at the sound of his real name. "That's right. I know all about you. Give your father a little liquor and he becomes quite loose lipped."

Renzo's eyes flashed with pain as tears pressed at the lids of my orbs. I bent forward, another wave of pain rushing through me. The iron stench of blood hit my nostrils as the warm, wet stain began dripping through my fingers. He took another step towards me and Tomasso clicked his tongue.

"Do that, and I press send on this email that holds all of your secrets. The entire world will know who Oliver Hunt, or Renzo DeMarchi, really is."

Renzo blinked. I shook my head. "Don't." I choked out, and he twitched. His hands balled into fists. "Don't."

"Tesoro." He whispered.

"Now, turn around and walk towards me." Tomasso commanded. "Or Nico will put another bullet through your pretty little princess." My eyes flashed towards my right, towards the empty grass space that Renzo and I had left. Marching out from the woods was a very pissed looking Nico.

Renzo shook his head, no. Protesting. "It's okay." I breathed.

"You have five seconds." Tomasso demanded and began a slow countdown from five.

Renzo's eyes became wet. He remained frozen, his gaze fixed on me.

"Four."

I smiled. "I love you." I mouthed at him. He clenched his jaw.

"Three."

He nodded, sniffed and stood up straight. Turning around he dragged his feet away from me, away from the porch.

"Now wasn't that easy?" Tomasso grinned as Renzo walked slowly down from the steps and into the grass. "Now, remove the gun that I know you've got stashed in that waistband of yours."

His hands reached around behind him and he untucked a 9mm, tossing it onto the ground. Tomasso nodded subtly at Nico who backed away from me. My heart was shattering as Renzo's figure moved farther and farther away.

I cried out and fell to my knees, tears pouring down my cheeks. Renzo spun around to face me as Tomasso dashed forward and wrapped his hand around his arm.

"AEDLIN!" He shouted and the butt of a gun crashed over his head, knocking him out cold. I reached my bloody hand forward, grasping for the man that held my heart as I felt it shatter within my chest. Nico caught up to Tomasso and helped him drag Renzo into the forest.