Chapter 27

It was cold. Dark and musty as I coughed and rolled off of my side. The air was stale and smelled of wet wood. I was confused about where I was, wondering how I got here in the first place. Last thing I remembered was my head slamming into the doorframe of the vehicle and now I was in some small, square shaped room.

Lily coughed beside me, and I put my hand on her arm to rouse her awake. "Lily." I whispered and heard her groan in response. Looking around once more as my vision slowly began to adjust to the dark, I could see two beds in each corner and a bucket in the middle of them. Across from the beds was a single doorway, that was it. The bare wooden walls were the exact same as the flooring, which explained the smell.

"Are you hurt?" I whispered to Lily again as she sat up next to me.

"I don't think so other than some bruises. Where are we?" She responded and I shook my head, unsure of what was actually going on. My head was pounding and I knew there was a bruise and bump on it from where I smashed into the door. Faint footsteps outside of our small prison echoed into our room and I placed one finger over my lips to tell Lily to remain quiet.

They stopped just outside and then a voice spoke in Italian. "Is she in there?" It was airy but low, way too deep that it almost sounded fake.

"They both are." A second voice responded, this one sounded quite young and was laced with fear.

"BOTH?" The first voice roared and someone stumbled a few steps back.

"Yes, she had a friend in the vehicle with her. I didn't think it would be smart to leave her." The younger man said in response and then metal clanking resonated into my ears as the door shot open.

One young man, who looked barely out of his teens with a soft, round face stood crouched behind a taller and quite large man. This man had flaming red hair that was curly and a little greasy looking. He walked into the room first followed by the young man who was literally shaking in his boots.

The older man walked straight over to Lily and I then stared at the both of us. His eyes studied Lily for a mere ten seconds and then they locked onto mine. Suddenly his hand shot forward and he grabbed my face, pulling me within an inch of him. The smell from him was pungent, reeking of fast food and I did everything I could to not vomit. The man turned from frustrated to angry.

Releasing my cheeks, he whipped around and slapped the young man. "You piece of sh**. Do you realize what you did?" He said and the poor kid cowarded back. "You were only supposed to grab Marcus' daughter. Boss said we only need Marcus to end his deal with Cacciatori Scarlatti, but now you've up and kidnapped his girl. Do you not remember just a couple months ago what he did when there was just a hint at a hint at a rumor that I Draghi Bianchi were wanting war?" He stomped towards the poor kid that back pedaled across the cold floor.

"I remember." He stuttered out and the red haired man spat at him.

"It's been two f****** days, I guarantee he's about to rain h*** down on us and also Boss. How are we going to explain this?" He continued. My mind was struggling to process what was going on, but it was nice to know I hadn't been the target; this time.

I stood up and brushed my legs off as the two men flipped around to face me. "I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt he actually knows I am here seeing as we haven't spoken since December. But if he does, blame all of this on Riccardo." I said and walked towards the bed in the left corner as the two of them stared at me in awe.

Finally the older man looked at his companion and shrugged his shoulders. "That's not a bad idea." He said and then spun back around to me. "Wait, you speak Italian?"

I nodded and leaned back against the uncomfortable metal bed frame. "Why do you want Marcus to bring his business back to you? Isn't that just going to make your rival mafia angry?" I inquired as nonchalantly as possible.