Chapter 49

We jumped the last step and landed on the hardwood before heading towards the couch. I glanced at the clock, not even realizing that it was already nearly six in the evening. My stomach grumbled, reminding me I hadn't eaten much, but dinner would be soon and I wanted to have a big appetite to keep food in my mouth the entire meal tonight with my family.

Mia plopped down on the couch beside me and sighed. "I can't believe it. You and Renzo." She kicked her feet up onto the back of the couch and wiggled her toes.

"How'd you get involved with James?" I skirted around what she was trying to get at and criss crossed my legs on the couch to face my friend.

She giggled. "Literally bumped into him one day when I was on my way to a blind date for lunch. He was scary yet intense looking and honestly, the mystery behind him was what caught my eye at first." She paused and rolled her head towards me. "Renzo was there the first time I met James too, although he said his name was Oliver. But he barely even batted an eye at all the girls that were ogling over him on the street that day."

"Are you two going to get married?" I asked and she smiled.

"Someday. But I haven't quite found a way to tell my parents about James."

I gasped and sat up a little straighter. "Why not?"

"Well you know them. The tattoos, his job. The fact he's not a native Italian." She sighed and I understood. Her parents loved her, cared about her, but almost a little too much.

"You could just tell them that he's a bodyguard for a wealthy businessman? Oliver Hunt is actually on the internet as one." I suggested.

She chewed on it for a moment but didn't have a chance to answer as the door opened and in walked the two very people that James and Renzo were discussing. Gianna had on a plaid romper, the fabric barely covering what needed to be covered. Her blonde hair was in two french braids that bounced off of her voluptuous chest. She had on a bright pink shade of lipstick and stomped into the room like she owned the house.

"Hellooooo!" She sang, her voice high pitched and sounding a little like a baby. I groaned and slid down the side of the couch, hoping that the back covered me. Mia quickly peeled her feet off of the top and furrowed her brows at me. I mouthed who she was and she clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Maybe they're not here?" Gianna asked.

Renzo's father answered, "Where would he go? Besides, you heard that little slut last night about what they were going to do. I doubt he's even put on a normal pair of pants today." I couldn't quite tell how he was feeling, whether intrigued or angry, and took in a shaky breath.

They appeared in the kitchen, I could see the upper half of both of them over the top of the couch. He once again had on a nice suit, today was a gray pinstripe suit with black under shirt, his hair neatly styled with a little too much gel.

I held as still as possible, hoping that they wouldn't notice Mia or I on the couch. Praying that they would just make their way up the stairs or something so I could avoid them. Cutting through the stiffness in the air, footsteps clambered down the steps. Heavy. Slow. Threatening.

Whoever was walking down the stairs was pissed about something and you knew it simply by the way the person moved. "Don't think for one moment that I won't have you slung up behind a vehicle and torn to shreds if you keep speaking about her that way."

Renzo.

He swung around the end of the stairs and glowered at his father. "Now." He seethed. "Fix what you said. Because if you don't I won't have a single regret and I won't get caught either."