Chapter 33

Three pairs of eyes stared at me in shock as I let the door swing shut behind me. "Hi guys!" I said as my two roommates and Adam blinked themselves back to reality. "Did I interrupt something?" I asked, kicking my shoes off and walking into the living room.

"No! We just weren't expecting you home until September!" Marissa said in response and smiled at me.

I nodded back and walked towards my room. "What are you planning on doing now that you're done with your project?" Shelby asked, leaning over the edge of the couch in my direction.

Furrowing my brows I sighed. "I have no idea other than to go on my date tonight." I replied, shrugging my shoulders and turned the doorknob to my room.

"You have a date?" Shelby squealed in response.

"Looking like that?" Marissa added and I rolled my eyes before turning around to face the three of them.

"I'm going to put contacts in and brush my hair, don't worry." I responded and Adam looked at me with disappointment.

"That's it? You're a twenty seven year old single woman. If you want to get laid, I'd put a little more effort into things." He replied and flicked his wrist at me in dismissal.

"I do, but not by him." I muttered under my breath.

"What?!" Shelby and Adam said at the same time. Marissa's mouth was hanging open in complete shock and I chewed on my bottom lip, cursing my big unfiltered mouth.

"If you don't like him like that, why are you going on a date with this guy? Who is it anyway?" Shelby said, recovering from her shock.

I shook my head and looked at the floor. "It's Nathan who I've worked with the past few months. And I don't know, I guess because he's safe and normal." My head was swimming. She was right, why was I going on this date if I didn't have those feelings towards him? He was a nice guy, a good guy, but Renzo was too in his own way. And Renzo and I shared a chemistry that was lacking between Nate and I.

Turning around, I walked into my bedroom as Adam shouted after me. "You mean boring?" And he was right. Nate was sweet, but really boring. Nothing about him excited me or made me feel powerful. Or safe. Despite the danger that I had found myself in, the entire time I knew Renzo would show up.

Tossing my duffel bag on my bed, I sat down on the edge of it feeling the familiar ache for someone I had pushed away. "Hey girl." Shelby quietly said, sitting down next to me.

I looked up at her. For some reason, I was grateful she came in after me despite the fact that I didn't know her the way I knew Lily. "You're not a bad person for not having that type of interest for someone." She said, placing a hand on my knee.

"Except I left the person I do have feelings for. I said some horrible things to him, pushed him away. I chose to leave." I replied and a tear escaped my eye. For the first time I spoke what I had been thinking, and it made things so much more real.

Shelby sighed. "Why don't you just call him? Tell him how you really feel." I looked at Shelby, a little stunned.

"I don't have his number." I said and then my eyes widened as I looked up at Shelby. "Actually, I think I do, hold on." I quickly stood up and walked over to my closet. Throwing open the doors, I shuffled through the clothes until I found the jacket I had been wearing when I'd gone to Marcus for answers.

Shoving my hand into the pocket, I felt it. The piece of paper with his number written on it. Surprised that it hadn't been ruined after everything, I Quickly pulled the paper out and walked back to the edge of the bed. Shelby was still sitting there, patiently waiting and I joined her. She grinned encouragingly at me and nodded.