Chapter 5

Soft sheets tickled my bare legs as I turned over in bed and shoved my face deeper into the pillows. I wanted just five more minutes of sleep, just five more minutes of solace. A rumbling from my stomach protested such desire and I groaned before rolling out of the silky comfort.

I plodded over to the bathroom door and stepped in. Washing my face, I pulled my thick hair into a very messy bun on the top of my head and slipped on my glasses that Lily teased made me look like I had bug eyes. They were big and round, but I liked them in the morning more than contacts until the sleepiness and dryness left my eyes.

Blinking a couple times, I shrugged my shoulders and called it good. Slipping on some really fluffy slippers that also didn't match my sleepwear that I had put back on, I exited my room and walked down the stairs. Turning left to walk towards the kitchen, I mindlessly moved in the direction I had gone so many times and yawned.

And I ran smack into a large, solid wall that had never been there before.

Crashing backwards I almost landed on the floor when a strong arm wrapped around my waist and prevented me from gaining a new bruise. A deep chuckle reverberated through the hall and I blinked, pushing my glasses back onto the bridge of my nose.

"Good morning." The wall said and my mouth fell open.

"I-I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." I stuttered out and he helped steady me on my feet.

Raising a dark eyebrow just slightly, he tilted his head and I watched his eyes flicker across my body. I was suddenly self conscious about my outfit and crossed my arms in front of my chest. My heart started racing in my chest as he smiled at me. It wasn't a grand smile, more one of curiosity and interest.

"You're heading to breakfast I assume?" He asked and I nodded in response before furrowing my brows, confused.

"Wait, why are you here?"

Oliver Hunt stood in front of me, looking very put together for an early morning after such a late night of partying. He had on nice navy blue dress pants and a button up that was rolled up to just below his elbows. I tilted my head as a sleeve of tattoos peeked out on his left arm, trailing down to cover even the back of his hand. How I had not at least noticed the portion on his hand last night, beats me.

He didn't have time to respond as his phone began ringing and he pulled it out of his pocket. "Sorry, I need to take this." He stated bluntly and the intimidating aura returned around him as he stalked away. I watched him go, utterly shocked at the encounter that had just occurred.

Not being able to receive an answer at this time, I finished my walk towards the dining hall. Entering, I found Marcus and Lily seated at the long, custom made table. A few gentlemen I didn't recognize were seated with them and Lily had this look of both annoyance and excitement on her face. Clearly, she was hungover but these new guests excited her.

She raised her eyebrows at me as I sat down next to her and one of the servants brought me a plate of eggs and waffles. "What is going on?" I leaned over and whispered to her; she was already dressed and ready for the day as Marcus looked at me.

"Good morning, Aedlin." He stated as the doors behind me opened. I turned around to watch Oliver walk in and head behind Marcus at the head of the table to the empty chair directly next to him. He slid the heavy seat back and placed himself down before resuming to eat the half empty plate.

His fire colored eyes watched me the entire time as I remained frozen with my fork midway to my mouth. Marcus picked up small talk with our new companion, but I couldn't seem to comprehend the words despite them being in English until Marcus spoke my name.

"Aedlin." He said and I blinked as the egg flopped to my plate. My cheeks burned red as I closed my eyes.

"Hmmmm?" I replied, now refusing to look up from my food, trying to stick a bite of waffle that I had soaked in a little too much syrup as per usual.

"Remind me where your parents are this holiday? Lily told me that you were staying here for Christmas but I can't recall why?" He asked and I finally was able to get some food to stick to my fork.

"Yes." I mumbled in glee and then let the smile drop from my face, red caressing my cheeks instead. Glancing up from my plate, I saw Oliver discreetly raise an eyebrow in my direction but continued to munch on his food. "Uh, my brother and sister-in-law took them on vacation to Cabo I think with her family." I quickly shoved the food into my mouth as Marcus nodded.

"That's right." He turned to Oliver. "Will her presence be an issue for our business at hand?" He asked as Oliver finished his last bite of food.

"No, I don't believe it will." He replied and glanced at me, his eyes holding a hint of desire in them. Marcus and Oliver both excused themselves and exited with the new guests to leave Lily and I alone.

As Oliver passed directly behind my chair, he paused. Marcus, unaware of his halt in movement, continued out of the dining hall. Oliver leaned down close to my ear and I shuddered as his body heat enveloped mine. "That's a very pretty name." He whispered and then proceeded out of the hall without another sound.

Lily had been unaware of the exchange as she shoveled the last of her food and drink into her mouth. I wondered what her rush was but my question didn't linger as the doors once again opened and in strutted none other than Andres.

She turned to me and paused. "Cover for me if my father asks where I am, will you?"

This was not an unusual request and I took a sip of coffee before smiling at her. "Go on." And she giggled, before pushing her chair back and bounced out of the dining room hand in hand with Andres. I was once again left alone, also not unusual, and finished my breakfast quickly before deciding to head to the library.

I plodded down the hallway and turned underneath the loft railing to pass Marcus' office before entering the library. Stern voices reached my ears and I paused, my curiosity that seemed to get me into trouble too often overwhelmed my sense of allowing privacy and I listened.

Marcus's voice reached my ears first. "I don't see why it's such an issue." He was a bit cold in his tone, something I hadn't heard from him before but Oliver's extremely calm and cool response sent ripples of apprehension down my spine.

"Because I am very aware of your reputation, Marcus."

I pressed my ear closer to the door. "Which is why I think forty percent is reasonable. I spoke with Reginald and he takes forty percent." Marcus responded and ice clinked against a glass.

"Reginald has also been with me since my father was the boss. We start at twenty which does not change what you've been taking currently and go from there." Oliver sounded way too in charge for only being in his mid thirties.

"Twenty? That's it?" Marcus whined back.

"Would you rather I say fifteen because that's where I normally start my new investments?" He countered and I shuddered at the force behind his words. "You are aware I don't need you, but I am offering you a chance which will also provide you with more growth in the future if you do well."

"Twenty works." Marcus responded and I heard footsteps shuffle across the floor. I quickly made my escape to the library before anyone exited the room knowing I shouldn't have been eavesdropping. But it left me with so many questions. Oliver had sounded so in charge and yet Marcus was quite a bit older than him. How wealthy was he and what type of business did he do that caused him to cross paths with Marcus? In fact, for the first time in my life, I was actually curious as to the specifics to Marcus' business.