Chapter 48

He chuckled behind me as I attempted to reach up to a higher shelf. I could see one of my favorite books up there, yet couldn't quite reach. "Are you just going to stand there laughing, or will you help me?" I demanded of him.

Another chuckle reached my ears and then his body heat engulfed me. Stretching above my head, he snatched the book off of the shelf so I turned around to face him. He had another little cigar stuck between his lips and a mischievous grin plastered across his face. Instead of handing me the book, he extended his arm even higher above me, dangling it just out of my reach.

I whined and jumped for the book as he laughed. "Not fair!" I jumped again and he stepped away from the bookshelf.

"You're going to have to try harder than that." He grinned and then bounced away from me. I chased him around the room, attempting to climb on anything that would put me in reach of the book over and over again all while he laughed. The book continuing to dangle just out of reach.

He was full on laughing as I scrambled onto one of the round armchairs and launched myself at the book once more. But he stepped back right before my hands closed around it and instead my fingers latched onto the waistband of his pants during my fall. I ripped them to his ankles while landing against the ground on my knees.

"Woman!" He snickered and then bent forward laughing even harder as I shook my head, but couldn't help giggling at the sight. There he was, standing in front of me, his pants around his ankles and clutching his stomach from laughing so hard.

Just then the door flew open. "Boss, did you-" James started and then halted halfway through his question. "Never mind. I'll leave you two be." He went to shut the door when Renzo laughed again, even harder. It froze James in confusion.

"You're fine. It's not what you think." Renzo said to the bemused man in his office doorway.

"Really. I was just trying to get the book from him." I added and suddenly Mia's head shot underneath James' arm having heard my voice.

She bit her lip, her eyes floating steadily towards Renzo and what his mama had blessed him with. "Da**." She muttered and James went from puzzled to disbelief.

"Excuse me?" James retorted and Mia's cheeks went a little red.

She gestured at Renzo's compression boxers that revealed nearly everything. "I'm sorry, but even you've got to be impressed by that." She muttered and his shock went to an annoyed agreement. Mia's eyes met mine as Renzo shook his head and quickly pulled his pants back up. I rocked back onto my heels as he stretched his hand forward to help me to my feet.

"Seriously though, Aedlin. You have way more self control than me for holding out this long. I would've been allllll over that whether we were together or not the moment I had a chance." Mia said, still staring at Renzo. He handed me the book and gave me that grin that told me he was about to say something stupid. I shook my head, warning him.

James scoffed. "What am I? Chopped liver? Like hello, your boyfriend is standing right here." He gestured to himself as Mia clicked her tongue.

"Let me gossip and attempt to get my friend laid for the first time. So hush and don't take it personally." She dismissed James and I snorted as Renzo glanced at his friend before stuffing his hands in his pockets.

He rocked the cigar between his teeth and then raised that amused eyebrow. "Yeah James, hush. I want to hear this too."

"Seriously?" James replied flabbergasted and threw his hands up. "What the h*** do you call what you two were doing downstairs when we showed up? They don't need your help, Mia."

Mia grasped one of his arms and placed it back by his side. "That's just hand stuff. I'm talking about finally helping my adult friend lose her v-card to a very delicious alpha man." She winked at Renzo, who took a long draw on his smoke and blew it out through his nose.