Chapter 42

We didn't speak. My brain was still trying to work through what I had seen upon exiting. I knew that Renzo had killed before, but it hadn't quite seemed real until seeing those dead bodies that were strewn about a once glistening mansion. I knew he had done things that weren't exactly on the right side of the law, but up until now, I had kind of kept it at bay in some compartment that said it wasn't completely true.

My insides curdled. His hand that was resting on my leg had brought death to others over what? Turf wars? Money? Drugs? Who knows what. Or how often or how many times. I closed my eyes, trying to shove away the wave of nausea that once again washed over me, trying to prevent me from making a fool of myself.

"Aedlin." Renzo spoke, giving a squeeze to my leg. I flinched, startled and pried my eyes back open. "What's going through your head right now?"

He seemed genuinely concerned. But part of me worried whether it was because he actually cared that I had found that so gruesome or if he just cared that it might possibly cause me to leave. Finally unable to hold in the disgusting waves of repulsion from the images and smells that flashed through my head I grasped the door handle of the car and shoved it open.

Renzo slammed on the brakes as I hurled out the side of the car. He quickly threw it in park and rushed out of the vehicle as I continued to wretch everything out of my stomach. His hands pulled my hair away from my face as the vomit continued. I couldn't seem to stop it no matter how embarrassed I felt.

Yet Renzo didn't say anything. He didn't flinch away or seem disgusted by everything that was exiting my stomach through my mouth right now. He just held my hair and let me wretch.

I kept my eyes closed, breathing hard, waiting for the overwhelming uncertainty to leave me. How quickly I had gone from feeling saved by him to now being so skeptical of him. "What's going to happen to Tomasso and Nico?" I finally asked, his hands slowly leaving my hair as I finally looked up at his face.

He sighed. "Do you want the truth or what will make you feel good about things?" I didn't answer as he pushed his lips into a thin line and then walked around back to the drivers side of the vehicle. I closed my door and buckled myself in as he roared the engine to life and we slowly began driving along this very desolate back road.

Trees engulfed us as we wound through the countryside, farther and farther from my little apartment in the city. Farther and farther towards an unknown destination. He didn't attempt to start conversation with me nor did he push my question more. I hadn't decided what answer I should ask for. I knew which one I wanted but I wasn't sure if his response would be something I could handle.

But I hated lying. More than anything, I couldn't stand it and there had been enough lies already from him when he thought it was the best way to protect me. "The truth please." I finally said, breaking the hour long silence.

He glanced my way, a little startled by my sudden voice. "You might not like it." He quietly said.

"I don't care. You know how much I hate lying."

His jaw tensed for a moment and then he leaned against his arm that was pressed into the windowsill. "James and Brick will tail them until they've spread just enough false rumors and then they will be disposed of." He glanced at me. I knew what he meant by 'disposed of'. It wasn't exactly something I was proud to know, but I was grateful he answered me honestly.

But anger filled the empty spaces that the fear had left and I glared at him. "Why do you think killing them is an acceptable order to give?"

This time there wasn't humor in his body as he stared directly ahead. Not once looking at me. "Welcome to my world." He muttered, refusing to peak in my direction.