Chapter 34

The sun peeked through the curtains, pulling me from a restless slumber. It had taken me several hours to fall asleep, leaving me with maybe only four hours of rest, but now the light was blinding and eight in the morning had arrived. I groaned and rolled out of the bed, slid my feet into a pair of really fuzzy slippers and shoved my glasses onto my face.

Plodding out into the kitchen, my two roommates were already diving into big bowls of cereal. "Good morning! How was the date?" Shelby asked me, a little too cheery for this early in the morning. I gave her a sideways glance and walked towards the fridge.

"That good?" She replied to my silent answer and I chuckled.

"Just confirmed how much of an idiot I am." I said while opening the fridge door. I grabbed some milk and walked back towards the counter. Pulling out a bowl and some Lucky Charms, I poured myself some cereal and then returned the milk to the fridge.

As I was walking to sit down, a rapid knock sounded on the door. Glancing at my roommates, Marissa stood up and started to walk towards the entrance. "Probably Adam." She mumbled under her breath, still half asleep.

I joined Shelby at the table and sat down. "We should just make him a bed with how much time he spends here." I replied and Shelby laughed as Marissa opened the door.

"Oh hello." She said with a flirtatious tone to her voice. "You look yummy and kind of familiar." Shelby and I made eye contact and I tilted my head before turning around in my seat. My jaw fell open as I made eye contact with the most intense, fiery eyes I had ever seen. Shelby squealed and then clamped her hand over her mouth while I continued to remain frozen in my seat.

The muscular man stepped into the apartment without a word and walked directly to me. "Uh, who are you? The last time some strange man showed up at our door looking for Aedlin, we nearly died." Marissa said, shutting the door and then crossing her arms. I continued to stare, my heart racing in my chest as Renzo came to stand directly in front of me.

Every part of my body screamed at me to jump into his arms, tell him how sorry I was and how much of a fool I had been. But I remained stuck in my chair, holding a spoon of cereal. He raised one amused eyebrow at me, his eyes piercing into my soul and the world around me faded away.

It was just Renzo and I.

Finally, I found some courage to speak. "What are you doing here?" I whispered out and his eyes fell in relief. Slowly, I pushed the chair back and turned around to face him.

"You called me and I was worried something happened." He quietly said to me, his husky voice crashing over me like a river of heat. I closed my eyes and stood up, my breathing becoming rapid as I opened my eyes and looked up at him.

I chewed on my bottom lip, staring at him and he reached his hand forward. His thumb rested against my mouth and I paused as he pulled the lip out from between my teeth. He let his hand linger against my skin, a rush of tingles running through my body from his touch and I looked into those eyes that held bright flames. He studied me, nothing else in the world seemed to phase him.

His hair was styled in deliberate curly waves that framed his chiseled face, each feature perfectly enhanced and powerful looking. Instead of his usual dress pants and button up, he had on a pair of jeans that fit his legs immaculate with a simple v-neck t-shirt that showed off his sleeve of tattoos on his left arm.

"Something did happen." Shelby said beside me, pulling me from the trance that I was in. Renzo's brows furrowed in confusion as he finally looked away from me; but just for a moment. "She's still totally in love with you." She finished and I suddenly couldn't catch my breath. I refused to look at Renzo and instead glared at Shelby while clutching my chest.