Chapter 7

What was that? What in the world was that? I kept asking myself over and over as I giddily and painstakingly walked across the long hallway, refusing to turn around for fear that he might see my blushing face. That was an unusual boldness that had surged through my body to flirt in such a forward way, something I had never done before; but it had also been quite exciting. Quickly pulling the door open to my room I shuffled inside and giggled to myself before stopping dead in my tracks.

A foreign suitcase lay on the cedar chest that was at the foot of my bed, and any evidence that I was here last night was gone. Cruising over to my closet, I swung open the door to find many of the articles of clothing that normally hung neatly inside to be missing. Bare hangers littered the rods and the floor lacked my shoes. I didn't have much, but the little that Marcus and Lily had bought for me over the years was gone.

Backing out of the empty closet in a frenzy, I scrambled over to the bathroom and swung open that door to find a similar story. All of my stuff was missing, yet here, it had been replaced with men's toiletries. My heart began racing as panic spread through my body and my mind rapidly went to the darkest of corners. I was getting kicked out.

Maybe part of the deal was that I wasn't allowed to be here and I slowly stumbled out of the bedroom. Once I was back into the hallway, I stood frozen staring at the closed door in front of me. I had nowhere to go this holiday season, or really at any point until I could find a new job. Which was about to be a nightmare seeing as it landed over Christmas and now I was also homeless.

Footsteps padding down the hallway gained my frenzied attention and Marcus was approaching me. His brows furrowed and then his eyes widened as he saw the fear etched into my eyes. "Aedlin, I am so sorry to cause a panic!" He started, and came to stand next to me.

Offering me a simple hand, I shakily placed mine in his as he gently guided me to Lily's bedroom door. "We have quite a few unexpected guests who will be staying with us for some time to supervise during my trial period working for the-." He stopped himself and coughed and continued. "Excuse me. I mean working for Oliver. Your things have been moved to Liliana's room where you will be sleeping until they return home."

"Oh!" I replied with a chipper sigh of relief. "It'll be like the old times when we would have sleepovers!" and I smiled at Marcus who gave me a hug.

"I wanted to find you before you wandered into the room and began to panic, but I was obviously a little late. This was a last minute arrangement. As of this morning, kind of arrangement." He replied and I chuckled.

"Gave me a bit of a fright there."

"You know I would never leave you stranded. You're family." He responded and then gestured towards the door. I gave him one last quick hug and then walked into the bright pink colored room.

The room had been moved around, sliding her large king size bed to the left to make room for a small double mattress that was neatly made although sitting on the floor. I didn't mind at all, it was still a comfortable place to sleep. My clothes had been wheeled in on a small, separate rack that had been pressed against the closet wall.

Time for a wardrobe change and a shower; something that was long overdue at this point. Pulling a pair of boyfriend cut jeans from a hanger and a white, tight but warm turtleneck I made my way to the bathroom. All of my toiletries had been moved in here and I turned the shower on, stepping into the overly luxurious stream of water that rained down from the ceiling.

The hard walls were a dark brown, accented with small flower designs that also exuded a soft fragrance of lily's. I let the warm water run down my body and slipped my hair out of the bun to wash it. By the time I was finished, the bathroom mirror was fogged up and the entire room a steamy hot mess.