The Bloody Mirror

"Found a mirror! This should work," Daniela said as she dragged in a floor mirror.

You stood by as Daniela propped it up against the wall and then excitedly rub her hands together. It was too late for this nonsense. You were not a believer of folklore. Cassandra was flipping through the pages of a book while Bela peeked over her shoulder.

"Okay, we have the mirror. Now we only need to put out a few more torches, and then we can proceed with summoning her," Cassandra explained.

This was utterly absurd. They disrupted your beauty sleep and brought you down to the dungeon for this? Sleepily, you rubbed your eyes and let out a loud yawn, wrapping your arms around yourself to keep warm. It was freezing and there was this cold draft that kept hitting your legs. Bela blew out another torch and then returned to Cassandra's side.

"It says to call her name 33 times? No, five times?" Cassandra struggled to see the text as the room got darker.

"No, it clearly says three times," Bela said impatiently as she placed her finger on the passage.

"You try reading this in the dark, then," Cassandra huffed.

"With pleasure!" Bela took the book out of her hands. "The book says that in order for this to work, we need to be in a dimly lit room."

Daniela nodded. "Check! It's dim enough." She beckoned at the torches that remained alight.

"Good, now all of us must grab a candlestick and light them. Daniela?"

Daniela pulled four candlesticks out of her robe. She lit them one by one and then handed them out to her sisters and then to you. "We all have a candle. Now what, Bel?"

"We can begin. Let's gather closer to the mirror. One of us has to call her by name. So, who's going to do it?"

"I will!" Daniela raised her arm. "Since I am the one who found the mirror and carried it down here."

You shook your head and fantasized about resting your head on your pillow, being all cozy under your blankets. "Where do I stand?"

"Daniela, stand in front of the mirror. You can come stay by me. Cassandra, go over there and stand near Daniela," Bela directed.

Positioning herself in front of the full-length mirror, Daniela held her candle. She intently focused on her reflection and awaited Bela's further instructions. "What am I to say?"

"It's time, everyone," Bela announced. "Daniela, you must stare into the mirror and say 'Bloody Mary' three times, and you must speak her name clearly and slowly or else it won't work.

"Hold up." You raised your hand. "What, or whom, are we supposed to see? Who is Mary?"

"No one really knows. Some say that she can take the appearance of a phantom, or an old witch. People even believe that she may be the ghost of Queen Mary I," Cassandra answered.

You bit your lip. That sounded improbable. In the dungeon, you had seen creatures and occasionally dancing shadows that were far more terrifying than some aged crone. "Ok, so is she a friendly or not?"

"That depends," Daniela spoke, refusing to avert her eyes from the mirror. "She could be kind, or she could be malicious."

"Malicious? How malicious are we talking about?"

"Well, she could cast an evil spell on us, give us hallucinations and nightmares, or strike us dead right where we stand. Who knows?" Bela remarked.