The Secret of the Forest

This was exactly what you needed, a week-long vacation with your fiancé. It was Alcina's surprise. She knew that the both of you were overwhelmed with work. Her schedule and yours rarely coincided, so she saved enough money to rent a ski cabin.

Seated in the passenger seat, you were scrolling through your phone and looking at pictures of the cabin. "I can't believe you got this for us!"

She adjusted the rearview mirror and smiled at you. "I'm happy you're excited about this. I know we've not had much time together these last few weeks, with it being busy and getting the girls to school."

"We've made it work out. The girls will be fine watching the house." You then showed her your phone screen. "And you and I will be enjoying ourselves. I mean, look at this place. They've got a jacuzzi, too!"

"What's the bed like?" Alaina asked in a sly tone.

"I think I saw that picture earlier–hey!" You then smacked her elbow. "Out of everything I've shown you so far, you're only focused on that?"

She shrugged her shoulders and gave you a lopsided grin. "Like I said, we have not had much time together."

You knew she was right. It was you who was coming home late from work. Alcina would cook. You'd clean and help the girls with their homework, and by the time you collapsed onto the bed, you'd fall asleep on your fiancé before she had the chance to get frisky with you.

"Well, we'll have plenty of time for that."

"I look forward to it. We're here." Alcina turned left and you could see the driveway.

Driving up to it, the cabin appeared incredible, just as they advertised it on the site. It was a two-story cabin. A few bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, the main floor, and even a basement. You'd say it was pretty extravagant and told Alcina that a smaller cabin would've worked out just fine, but she insisted that you'd love this one. She was right. Unlike the other cabins, this one was more remote. A heavily wooded area surrounded it.

The ski resort was about twenty minutes away, and your only neighbor was a run-down residence. The manager mentioned that a family used to live there, but then they moved for an unknown reason. There was a tall fence that separated the cabin from the house.

Pulling up, Alcina turned off the ignition and then looked over at you. "Are you ready to head inside?"

You unfastented your seatbelt, leaning over to give her a quick peck on the lips. "Yes! You're the best! Thank you for this, hon. I'm really looking forward to this."

Alcina and you exited the car, you helped her with the luggage and allowed her to unlock the front door. Once you were inside, it appeared bigger than what the images showed.

You unzipped your winter coat. "Oh, my God! This place is huge!"

"So, you like it?"

"Like it? I'm already loving it! Oh, look! They've got a fireplace below the TV, too!"

She wrapped her arms around your waist and rocked you back and forth. "There could be a single box in the room, and you'd be thrilled about that as well." Her lips brushed your neck.

"I get excited over the little things. What can I say?" You giggled when she tickled your neck. "Hey now, there's more luggage to bring in, remember?"

She gave you an adorable pout. "You're choosing the luggage over me?"

"No, you know what I mean. The sooner we get settled, the more time we'll have for...this." Standing on your tiptoes, you gave her a passionate kiss and then pulled away before she could snake her arms around you again. "There, a preview for you, hm?"