Her Priority (Conclusion)

Phones chirped, keyboards clacked, elevator doors clunked shut. The chief reviewed the reports while she drummed her fingers on her desk. Her solemn eyes then fixed on the tall-middle aged man stepping inside her office with a folder in his hand. His crooked tie and graying, disheveled beard drove her mad. Was it so much to ask that he'd clean up his appearance, especially for his line of work?

"Hey, chief? I have news for you."

"It better be good news," Miranda remarked, exhausted. Her Friday was feeling more like a Monday.

"About that missing person's case. Josephine's birth mother? Alcina was right about her. She is hiding something. Something big, actually. While I was reviewing her report, we somehow overlooked a minute detail."

"How minute is this detail?" Miranda scoffed.

Detective Heisenberg scratched his mustache before peeking closer at his folder. "Well, she's got a sister named Layla. So, we may have reason to believe that Josephine is with her aunt."

Miranda pressed her lips together and asked herself how her two finest detectives in this department could've missed such a critical detail. "You consider that minute?! Tell me you've located her aunt?"

"Not just yet," Karl shook his head. "I'm working on that. I'm thinking that Josephine wasn't kidnapped. I think she went along willingly with Layla."

"You're saying that Josephine is a runaway teenager, then? Are her adoptive parents working with them? Why would she be with her aunt instead?"

"That's what I'm suspecting. They had that incident with that stalker last year, and I'm beginning to question if the mother is keeping her daughter hidden from them. What if this person has some sick fixation on Josephine?"

"If that's the case, then we need to redirect our focus to this stalker. But as you know, I'll be needing more proof first. By the way, do me a favor, would you? Stop by Alcina's home and let her know what you've learned. I know she wouldn't mind an update."

"I gotta ask this," Karl said with a smug look on his face. "Was she pissed when you took her off the case and assigned it to me?"

Miranda raised her eyebrow at him. "In light of her wife's nearly fatal accident, I think Alcina's thoughts are elsewhere. Trust me, she isn't too worried about this case right now."

"Speaking of her wife, is she all right?"

"You likely know as much as I do?"

"Not really. She never lets me ask anything about Y/N. She gets all bristly every time I do." Karl then raised his fist to his chest. "Her words have a way of piercing you."

"That's why Alcina is my best interrogator," Miranda smirked, leaning back in her chair. "Send Y/N my regards if she lets you see her."

Karl closed his file and laughed at the idea of Detective Dimitrescu doing something to him. "If I don't show up at work tomorrow, you'll find my body in her cellar or attic, if she's got one of those."

"I'll make note of that. And Karl? Straighten your tie and try to appear a little more professional, would you? You are in an office setting, you know."

"But I'm trying to cover up my grease stain." He adjusted and tightened his Navy-blue tie, only to mess it up just for the sake of annoying the hell out of her. "Thanks for the reminder, Mother."

As Karl shut her door, she yelled after him, "Don't call me that! I expect another report back on my desk by next week!" His whistling drowned out her voice.

At your house, your friend was doodling on your arm cast while scribbling out your wife's drawings. Donna concentrated harder and crossed out another one. "What is with these ugly, black balls?"