The Interview

Waiting in line at the café, you reviewed your notes on your phone again to prepare yourself for your upcoming interview. Your nerves were tense. This job would be a dream for you if you could land the position. Getting the job meant you could be closer to your family.

"I can help whoever is next?"

Looking up from your screen, your eyelid twitched. The caffeine was needed, since you hadn't been getting the best nights of sleep lately. You approached the counter, greeting the barista wearing a green apron. "Yeah, hi. I'd like a 16oz iced latte with an extra shot, please."

She got your order on her screen and then told you your total. You went over your notes one last time while waiting for your drink. When they pushed it out to you, you reached for it until another employee made a remark. "Oh, hey? Isn't this your drink?"

'No. I ordered an iced latte."

"It must be that lady's," the man said, glancing behind you. "I think she forgot her drink because she's leaving."

Turning around, you noticed a tall woman clad in a business suit walking out of the café. She was talking to someone on the phone and got too wrapped up in her conversation to grab her drink. "I'm heading out, too, so I can just take it to her before she gets too far."

Stuffing your phone in your purse, you carried your drink and the stranger's while hurrying out the door. When the sun hit your face, you squinted your eyes from light sensitivity. You then found the woman standing by a parking meter. Based on her tone, she sounded cross with somebody. You didn't want to interrupt her, so you stood a few feet away from her, staying quiet.

When she finally hung up, her body language was aggravated. It made you frown because you were concerned she'd snap at you for bugging her. Nevertheless, you approached her. "Excuse me? Ma'am?" Her head spun around. You hadn't comprehended just how tall she was until she was gazing down at you. Her raven-hair was reflective, and a set of sunglasses covered her eyes. "Sorry to bother you, but I think you left your drink behind?"

Seeing you lift her drink to her, a smile graced her pale face. The fiery look in her eyes dimmed. "Oh? I left it behind? Thank you." She accepted it, reminding herself that a stranger's kindness proved that the world she dealt with wasn't always as selfish as she deemed it to be. Her discussion on the phone was far from pleasant. Her longest working and most trusted employee had just phoned her out of the blue and quit on her, explaining why she was going to work for her competitor instead.

"Of course. Coffee is important. How can we survive without our caffeine?"

She chuckled. "We can't, I suppose." Then she scanned your professional attire. "You look as though you're dressed for an interview."

"Good guess!" You took a sip of your coffee. "That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm honestly surprised they called me back. I'm looking forward to it. And you look like you're dressed as an attorney?"

"Not quite. What company are you interviewing with?"

"The Dimitrescu Wine Corporation."

"Really?" The woman tried her drink, which was still too hot. "I know their CEO."

"You do?"

"Yes. Let's just say I'm friends with her."

"No kidding, really? Hey, maybe you could offer me some tips? Anything I should know before going in?"

"When do you go in?

"In a couple of hours. I keep reviewing my notes. I'm hoping I'm prepared. I've got this bad habit of talking too fast whenever I'm nervous. So...I gotta take deep breaths."