The Interview (Sad Ending)

"Ms. Dimitrescu?"

This was the third time she was addressing her. Shelby sighed. She guessed Alcina was hard of hearing or was just straight up ignoring her. Why was she so cold? Not once had she ever seen this business woman smile at her, or at anyone. As her personal assistant, Shelby endeavored to be positive and upbeat around her, yet it was difficult. She sensed her boss had never been too fond of her. Had Shelby known she was going to work for an Ebenezer Scrooge, she would've gone to a different company. But unfortunately for her, she needed this job.

"Ms. Dimitrescu? I have a direct report for you left by Johnson Clark? He wants you to go over the budget review before presenting it to the board chairman. And then Linda cannot make the one-on-one meeting she had with you this afternoon because her flight was delayed. Should I reschedule her to next week or the week after?"

Alcina stood by the glazed window of her office, gazing down at the traffic and how people rushed across the crosswalk with their umbrellas in hand. Her high cheekbones were sunken. The yellow intensity of her eyes were terrifyingly dim. She kept her back turned to her assistant, replying in an even tone, "Leave the report on my desk. Reschedule Linda to next Tuesday afternoon at 4:00."

Shelby wrote that down in her notepad before checking the time on her smartwatch. "Okay, got it. Uh, is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?"

"No. Thank you, Shelby. You may leave."

She placed the report on her desk. "Have a good rest of your day, Ms. Dimitrescu." Her assistant was eager to get home. She desired to be elsewhere with her friends and family that made her feel significant.

After hearing her assistant shut the door, Alcina had a thought cross her mind. Leaving her office, she headed down the halls of her building until she reached the reception area where Donna was.

Donna had just hung up the phone. Thinking no one was watching her, she pulled out her phone to resume her animal video on YouTube. She smiled to herself, trying to stifle her giggles. Things had gotten more grim since you moved away all those years ago. Alcina wasn't the same woman she knew her to be. She was far from being all right, and Donna didn't know how to help her anymore. Any attempts at reaching out to her were met by an icy rage that made her wary of her boss. Sadly, she could only sit by and watch her fall apart.

"What have I told you about using your phone during business hours?"

"Baby Jesus!" Donna jolted, almost dropping her phone. Seeing her boss standing behind her, she frowned. "Don't scare me like that! The lobby is empty, and it's almost time for us to go home. What brings you here? You hardly ever leave your office unless you have business meetings?"

"Do you and Y/N still speak?"

Donna saw sadness in her eyes. "Uh, yeah. We still text each other from time to time. Why?"

"I just want to know how she's been doing."

"Well, that's kind of complicated." There was once a time when Donna was the biggest cheerleader for you and Alcina, wishing to see you married someday. Together, you would have had an unbreakable bond. But that hope of hers was in a grave. "She's actually back in town for a few days."

"She is?" It was the first time in a long time that Alcina showed genuine interest in any news. "What for?"

Donna knew you'd probably kick her ass for this. "She's helping her mom move out of her house. The house has become too much for her for mom to handle. So, she's moving her to a place that's closer to where she lives. Then she can see her anytime."

After your father had died at the hospital, your world had fallen apart. You had stayed a year longer, being there for your mom and working for Bonnie until you found a better-paying job in a different state. You couldn't cope with your grief along with dealing with Alcina. All of it became too much for you, so you left. During those years, you visited and helped your mother whenever she needed it, until you realized how beneficial it would be to move her to where you lived.