Capturing the Maiden

"Bela, move out of the way! You're blocking the screen!" Cassandra yelled, waving her arm at her sister, who was standing right in front of the screen. Her eyes were fixed on Mulan launching the cannon to bring down the entire Hun army.

"But this is one of the best scenes! I wanna see it up close."

Cassandra then threw a handful of trail mix at her back. "Then see it up close from somewhere else!"

You stirred under the blanket next to Alcina and reached for the remote to pause the movie. "Cass, please don't throw food at your sister. And Bel? Would you mind sitting back down?"

"Listen to what your mom says," Alcina stated.

"Okay, okay, I'm sitting down!" Bela whined, wrapping her own lime blanket around herself and plopping down in Daniela's lap. She looked like a green caterpillar.

Daniela frowned at her sister and tried to shove her off. "Excuse me? This is my seat."

"Actually, it was my seat before you stole it." Bela pushed back against her more and let her weight crush her thighs. "So you're just going to have to deal with it."

"Yeah, that's true. You did take her spot," Cassandra added as she plucked out all of the nuts from the mix.

Daniela scowled at her sister. "Whose side are you on? Just eat your peanuts!"

You turned toward your wife and whispered, "Who needs a Disney movie when we've got them for entertainment?"

She let out a breathy laugh and snuggled closer to you. "I agree. We have enough entertainment, don't we?"

It was Bela's idea that all of you start a Disney movie marathon together. Going down her list, you watched Pocahontas, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Brave, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, Maleficent, and now Mulan.

It filled you with delight because while you and the girls had seen nearly all of them more than once, Alcina hadn't seen most of them. She wasn't much of a movie buff, and would only catch certain parts. Talking her into watching these with you was challenging enough. She just wasn't too keen, but you promised her that if she could be a good sport and make it halfway, you'd reward her.

"Aww, isn't that so sweet? General Shang returns the helmet to Mulan because he's crushing on her!" Daniela gushed while tugging on Bela's blanket.

"Smash! Smash!" Cassandra shouted, placing her hand over her heart while releasing a dreamy sigh.

Alcina slipped her daughter a curious glance. "What?"

"Don't mind her, Mother. Cass is just referring to a popular challenge from TikTok," Bela informed.

"What challenge is that?"

Cassandra stuffed more peanuts into her mouth before answering, "Who you'd smash in bed!"

Alcina glanced at you and then at her daughter. "Smash in bed?"

You cleared your throat and changed the subject. "It's just a video challenge, hon. Hey, look, Mushu's a guardian again!"

Bela sat up when the closing credits appeared. "Okay, I have a serious question for all of you."