Be the Light in My Darkness Part 2

For the first time in a long time, you were excited to wake up. Unlike most days, where you were too depressed to even move in your bed, you looked forward to what the day had in store for you and your new friend. You could set aside the crushing weight of grief for now.

As Alcina had made you promise, you drove back to the same park to meet her under the gazebo during the early afternoon. Driving into the parking lot, your foot thumped on the gas pedal in anticipation. You couldn't believe this, you had a date. This was such a refreshing change for you. A change from grieving over a future that didn't include your mother, best friend, or fiancé.

You couldn't keep your lips from breaking into a wide grin when you spotted her. She was sitting at the end of the bench, and you could see her hand moving across the pages of her book. Not only was she stunning, but there was a quiet, inner beauty about her that amazed you. When she walked you back to your apartment that night, she genuinely listened to you. She, a total stranger, cared about you and what you were going through.

Not wishing to startle her, you announced yourself loudly, "Hey there, Alcina!" You wanted to kick yourself for waving at her. Idiot.

A radiant smile graced her lips. Promptly, she shut her book and stood up like a gentlewoman. "I'm glad you came early!" You hadn't a clue how she could tell time until you noticed she was wearing a unique type of watch. How fascinating.

"Yeah, I'm sorry if I came too early. I just don't like to leave people waiting."

"I understand that; I'm the same way. So, where would you like to go? Do you want to take a stroll through the park first, or are you ready to leave now?"

You pinched your chin and clicked your tongue. Granting that it was an idyllic day, you were still rather shaken up from being attacked in this park only days ago. "Hm, actually, I was thinking about a certain place while I was driving over here. Do you like ice cream?"

"Who doesn't?" She collected her book. "That sounds wonderful. I'll let you lead the way." She extended her arm and let you guide her to your vehicle. Helping her inside, you shut the door and took her to Sweet Scoops, a nice little ice cream shop that was adjacent to a café you and your mother used to love to visit.

Sitting across from her, you got comfy in your familiar spot in the somewhat shabby booth. Although there were newer booths that the owner had recently added, this booth was your special spot. It had been since you were a kid.

"Now it's my turn to take a wild guess," Alcina speculated. "I'm going to say that your favorite flavor is Cookies N' Cream? No, Moose Tracks, perhaps?"

You playfully shook your finger at her, realizing again how foolish that was. "Not quite. Try one more time."

She crossed her legs and propped her arms on the table, resting her chin on her palms. "Hmmm, let's see. You're a chocolate girl, aren't you? Two scoops of double chocolate in a waffle cone?"

"Nope. But you picked my mom's favorite." Your grin faded, recalling your mother sharing her cheesy yet funny jokes while she licked her ice cream right in Alcina's spot.

"A lover of chocolate."

"Most definitely. More like a chocoholic. My mom loved it. If chocolate were a person, she would've married it. I'm not even kidding."

"Aw, and you would've been her mini chocolate chip."

"You smiled sweetly at her. "That's right, and that's why my favorite flavor is—" You drum-rolled on the table. —mint chocolate chip!"

She snapped her fingers. "That was my next guess!"

"I'm sure it was. Okay, my turn! You seem so smooth. So, it's gotta be butter pecan?"