It All Started with a Sandcastle

Carefully forming and patting your wall, you poked your finger into the side of your castle and let your fingertip drag itself vertically along the grains of sand. You drew another sloppy Renaissance window and then shifted your focus to smoothing out the rough surfaces. In your mind, this castle you had molded was perfect. It was your masterpiece.

You couldn't have been more pleased with it. Your mother would come for you at any second. Surely, she'd be impressed.

"Hey, bug eyes! Whatcha got there?"  

When the tall girl with ginger hair kicked a heap of sand at you, you immediately raised your hands to cover your eyes out of fear. "Don't!"

Letting out a derisive laugh, the girl named Samantha and her two other friends crowded and loomed over you in the pit. Once Samantha noticed that the kindergarten teacher was too busy talking to someone else to look in their direction, she stooped down and snatched your green sand bucket from you. She taunted you with it, dangling it over your head as you made a swift grab for it. "Give it back!"

"Only if you say pretty please!" She then chucked the pail across the playground. It cracked upon impact and rolled onto the pavement. Turning back to your sand fortress, she swung her foot at it and started to break it down into nothing.

You were completely horrified as you watched all of your hard work come undone. "No! Stop it! That's my castle!"

Samantha continued on with her stomping, grinding it under her heel. "You call that a castle? It's ugly! It looks more like a pile of mud."

Trying to protect your castle from being totally demolished, you encircled your arms around it, which only made the girls kick more sand at your face. All the particles felt like they were scratching your eyeballs out. The white layers of your eyes turned red. Instinctively, you rubbed at them, which only worsened the stinging pain.

Sitting among the mess, you began to cry. Your reason for crying was not only from the burning sensation, it had more to do with the bullies calling your castle ugly and then ruining it. Now you had nothing to show your mother.

Samantha pointed down at you with scorn, loving how her friends laughed at you as she did. Causing destruction was one of her favorite activities. "Someone's a big crybaby!"

The other girls joined in on the mockery and parroted her. "Crybaby!" 

A much taller girl with dark hair then stepped in front of you. "Go away!" She shooed them off, forcing them to fumble a few steps back. "Leave her alone."

The bully rolled her eyes at her, always finding this new girl to be the biggest pest in the class. "What do you want, giant freak? We were here first."

She clenched her hands and repeated herself more sternly. "Go away!"

Taking umbrage at her words, Samantha got right up into the girl's face. "Make us!"

Your new protector, or whoever this was, stared down this bully, not moving a muscle. "I'll tell the teacher what you did. I saw you throw that bucket."

"You going to tattle on us?" she mocked, feeling slightly nervous when standing up against a girl who could easily overcome her. "Mrs. Walker won't believe you."

Remaining stone-faced, the girl crossed into her personal space, flexing her fingers and jutting her chin. She wouldn't hesitate to shove this brat away. "She will."

Since she wished to avoid getting into trouble and appearing scared in front of her friends, Samantha searched around for another kid to pick on. "Come on, guys! Let's play tag!" She then whacked her friend on the shoulder. "You're it!" They ran off and chased one another through the swings and under the slide.