𝟒𝟔

Kaimana Valencia | April 1996

"It's a task?" Kaimana's eyes were wide.

"Yeah." Kehlani nodded and showed her the sheet with the instructions. "It's for extra credit. McGonagall told me to hand them out to people who I think might want extra credit. And since you're... well, since you're you, I figured you'd want this."

"That seems like a lot of work just for extra credit," Kaimana mumbled, and took the sheet in hand to read it.

She was in her dorm with Kehlani, getting ready for the ball since it was starting at seven in the evening sharp, and the performers in the ball dance routine were supposed to be ten minutes early to prepare.

Meleah was getting ready too, and Zaiyah was sleeping since it was past three, and it was her usual nap time. Aisling was supposed to show up soon, so she was coming as well.

"I think I'll pass on this." Kaimana put down the sheet on the dresser. "My Potions grade is... a bit better I think, and I don't need extra credit."

"Alright." Kehlani smiled and went to the bathroom to finish with her hair. She was planning to put it up in a bun with her curly baby hairs to frame her face.

Kaimana and Meleah were both preparing their blazers and nice pants to match. There was no certain dress code, it was just supposed to be formal.

"I'm here!" Aisling busted through the door with a smile. She was holding her dress in a garment bag on a hanger and her shoes in the shoebox. "Oh, shit, sorry. I didn't know Zai was asleep."

"It's okay." Kaimana laughed and went to grab her makeup pouch, so she could finish her makeup at her vanity table. "I see you've got the sex glow, huh? You and Theo getting it on before you both got ready?"

Aisling blushed as she shut the door. "I wouldn't be talking about glows if I were you, Kai." She put her dress on the bed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kaimana stared at Aisling through the mirror of her vanity table.

"I'm sure Mel and Lani could back me up on this," Aisling said, and put her shoebox on the end of the bed. "The other day, you had a glow."

"Because I'm a fairy and I'm made of fairy dust." Kaimana took out her eyeshadow pallet and did something bolder than she'd usually do for anything.

"No." Aisling scoffed, looking at her friend through the mirror. "You had a glow. A glow that you haven't had... ever, I think."

"I agree." Meleah walked out from the bathroom, her shoulder-length hair parted in hair, the bottom half curled and the top half tied up in a bun. "You had this glow that was... radiant and bright. It wasn't from sex though."

"Nonsense." Kaimana scoffed and leaned in closer to the mirror to precisely do her eyeshadow.

"But you were asleep all night, so where did that glow come from?" Meleah thought out loud, genuinely perplexed. "I even saw you get in bed and then I fell asleep."

Kaimana met her roommate's eyes for a second through the mirror before she focused on her makeup.

Meleah's eyes widened. "You did not go to sleep, did you?"

"I did," Kaimana insisted, and turned on the seat to face her friends. "I went to sleep."

"When?" Kehlani walked out of the bathroom, her hair half done.

"When I fell asleep?"

Kehlani nodded.

"That would be the time I fell asleep."