𝟏𝟎

Kaimana Valencia | December 1995

"Good morning, my darling." Kaimana smiled at her baby, who was waking up and smiling instantly.

It was the day people were leaving for holidays, and Kaimana was head over heels. She was so excited to see her dad and to celebrate Zaiyah's first New Years and Christmas. 

"Kai, how much do you love me on a scale of one to ten?" Jaxon barged into the dorm with his trunk, Quinn following behind.

"Maybe a two, why?" Kaimana scooped up Zaiyah and held her on her hip.

Quinn snorted.

Jaxon blinked at her with wide blue eyes. "A two?!" he exclaimed and dropped his trunk on the floor as Quinn closed the door.

"Kidding," Kaimana said, laughing. "A six on a good day."

"Whatever." Jaxon rolled his eyes and ran his fingers through his silky hair. "You're being immature. Where's Mel? I'll ask her instead." He walked out of the dorm to find said girl.

"Hey, yeah, where is that crazy lady?" Quinn asked, and jumped onto Meleah's bed, laying down.

"I'm not sure. She was gone when I woke up." Kaimana laid Zaiyah on her bed, so she could change her diaper. "What was Jax on about with that question?"

Quinn sat up straight, propping himself up by his hands behind him. "He asks you how much you love him on a scale of one to ten—which you're supposed to say ten—and then he'll ask you to do something for him that is supposed to prove your love for him."

"It's a good thing I said two then." Kaimana chuckled and changed Zaiyah. "Quinn, can you bring me clothes for Zaiyah? I left some things in the drawers for this morning when I was packing last night."

He rose from the bed and went to the dresser to get clothes. "Excited for her first holiday?" he asked, and brought her a onesie, so Zaiyah would be comfortable on the train ride.

"Yes, but I'm nervous for the train ride." And it was true. Zaiyah had never been on a train, and the ride was longer than anything Zaiyah had ever experienced. The longest she had ever been out of the dorm in general was four hours.

"Zai's usually a happy girl, so I'm sure she won't give you a hard time." Quinn laughed and sat on the edge of the bed. He dipped his head down and kissed Zaiyah's cheeks, cooing to her.

The door suddenly opened and Meleah walked in. "Kaimana, what's gorgeous and blind?" she asked, and sat on Quinn's lap, which he was unfazed by and continued to play with Zaiyah.

"What's what?" Kaimana's brows knitted together in confusion.

"What's gorgeous and blind?" Meleah repeated, batting her lashes at her roommate.

Kaimana only blinked at her.

"Okay, well, I'll tell you anyway." Meleah exhaled a gentle sigh and said, "Luna."

"Huh?" Quinn's attention was captured, his large hand on Meleah's waist to support her from tipping over and onto Zaiyah.

"Because she's so beautiful and perfect and gorgeous, but she's so blind that she can't see how amazing I am." Meleah dramatically fell backwards, laying on top of Quinn.

"Is that where you were this morning?" Kaimana arched an eyebrow. "With Luna?"

"I tell you that she's too blind to see how amazing I am, and then you ask me if I was with her?" Meleah scoffed and stood from Quinn's lap.

Kaimana shrugged. "Well, were you?"

"Yes." Meleah shook her head when Kaimana's brows shot up and walked to her bed. "But that's not the point."