𝟒𝟖

Kaimana Valencia | April 1996

Kaimana laughed and cheered on Zaiyah as she hopped up and down, dancing her heart out. She crouched down, holding her daughter's hand as she did her little dance.

"Go, munchkin! Go, munchkin!" Quinn cheered through a grin as he knelt down to her height to dance with her.

Zaiyah squealed a laugh and hopped around, not really dancing, but in her eyes it was dancing. She was overly elated and happy to be out past her bedtime, and to be dancing.

Kaimana felt Draco's stare from across the Great Hall. She'd be lying if she said he wasn't looking extra handsome on this night. He looked so very handsome and she just wanted to run to him and kiss him like no one else was in the room.

But she couldn't.

"Don't tell anyone, Clover," Draco had said during the dance.

In other words, keep it a secret.

And she would also be lying if she said it didn't sting, just a little bit. What she wanted was for them to be private, not a secret. There was a huge difference in secret and private, and if anyone says otherwise, they're aliens.

But Kaimana was a simple girl.

If girls were to flirt with Draco, Kaimana had no problem with it. It just depended on what his response would be. If he flirted back—Kaimana would just leave and let the other ladies have him. If Draco wasn't giving Kaimana attention—she wasn't going to beg for it even if she wanted it.

She didn't chase anyone.

Kaimana stopped dancing, and let Quinn take over with Zaiyah, so she could check on Meleah. But she didn't approach her when she saw her talking to Pansy at the refreshments table.

Kaimana grinned at how vivacious and lively Meleah was as she spoke to Pansy, hand gestures and all.

♧︎

Kaimana gasped when she was jolted forward by someone bumping into her. She felt something cold and wet splash onto her left thigh, soaking her pants.

"I'm so sorry."

She turned around to see Astoria Greengrass in her abnormally gigantic dress that looked like moss with her hand over her mouth, looking sympathetic.

"It's okay," Kaimana said with a tight smile even though it was not okay. "It'll come out." She walked off, knowing Zaiyah was with Jaxon and Quinn.

She left the Great Hall, darting for the bathroom, but she stopped when she was close to the bathroom because she heard clicking heels trailing behind her.

"It's fine, Greengrass," Kaimana droned, turning around.

"You're a real fucking whore, Valencia," Astoria spat, clearly angry at Kaimana. She took steps closer, her big dress swaying with her actions.

Her dress was like the shape of an upside down mushroom, Kaimana thought to herself.

"I'm a whore?" Kaimana echoed, folding her arms over her chest. "You expect that to hurt me? Like I haven't had that insult thrown at me ever since I got pregnant?"

"You did this to me!" Astoria's eyes flickered darkly as she took another step closer. "You took him from me!" A nasty scowl was on her face.

Kaimana's heart began to increase to a little jog in her chest. "I took who from you?" she asked evenly.

"Draco!" Astoria practically shrieked, her expression darkening and her lower lip shaking.

Kaimana's face fell.