𝟕𝟗

Draco Malfoy | December 1996

"What's this?" Kaimana stared at him with knitted brows.

"It's an elf's toe," Draco said sarcastically with a scoff. "Clearly, it's a present, Clover."

"But I told you—"

"You threatened me not to get you a birthday gift," he cut her off, correcting her, "So I got you a Christmas present. You never said I couldn't get you a Christmas gift."

It was the holidays, and as wanted, Draco and Kaimana both stayed at Hogwarts. Snape had told Voldemort that Draco was going to use this as an opportunity to reach out to Kaimana whilst her friends and mostly everyone else were all home for holidays.

They had eaten at their own tables, and with whoever stayed at Hogwarts too. But then they got together in his dorm—silenced it—since there were less people at Hogwarts in the Slytherin house, so less of a chance for them to get caught.

Zaiyah was on the bed, napping since she had played too much with Draco the second they got back to the dorm and she got tired.

"I can't take it." Kaimana thrusted the ring box into his chest.

"I wasn't asking. I was telling you to take it." He shoved the ring box back into her hand. "Go sit down and open it, Clover."

"I can't." She put the box on the edge of the bed before drowning her hands in her sweater sleeves. "I've got no hands." She raised her sleeves in an attempt to be handless.

He stared at her, exasperated. "Why won't you let me spoil you?" He sighed and grabbed the box. "You told Riley you have me to buy you things before you killed him, so why won't you actually let me buy you things?"

"Because I don't want you to spoil me," she said, shrugging as she sat on the edge of the bed. "You can tell me you love me, and that'll be spoiling me."

"I love you." He held the ring box out to her.

"I love you." She smiled at him, not taking the box. "Did you get Zaiyah a gift? Give the gift to her instead."

"I got her something else. This one's for you." He was almost whining, still holding the box out for her. "Please take it, darling."

"I need to tell you something first." The way she said it made him nervous.

"No, take this first." He placed the ring box in her lap, watching her intensely.

In defeat, Kaimana sighed and picked up the ring box. She met his loving eyes, almost as if she was asking for permission or confirmation to open it.

Draco nodded, grinning lazily.

She held the ring box with one hand and opened the lid with the other. She gasped. "What the hell is this?" She turned the box to show him what was inside. "You can't buy me jewelry, Draco."

"Why not?" He stared at the ring in the box, which was the exact same ring as the rose one on his pinky, but her size. He got her his favourite ring, so they could match.

"It's expensive, love," she whispered as if she was saying a bad word, her eyes wide. "What if someone sees the ring, and asks where I got it from?"

"Say you got it from the shop."

"But what if they tell me you have a matching one?"

"Then we both have exquisite taste."

"What if someone sees the money being spent under your name, and they ask—"

"Why are you making excuses not to take it, Kaimana?" He only ever used her first name when he was being dead serious, and the way she shut up after her name slipped out told him she knew it too.