𝟒𝟑

Draco Malfoy | April 1996

"I'm getting nowhere with Clover."

Snape raised a single brow. "Still?"

"She doesn't trust me." Draco leaned against the same desk he did with all the progress updates. "She hasn't told me anything or even shown any sign that she trusts me." He deliberately swerved the important bits.

"She seemed to be talking to you quite a bit when you were practicing for the ball dance routine," Snape mentioned, locking his fingers in front of himself.

"Yes, because that was me trying to talk to her, and that was her telling me to stop talking," Draco clarified, folding his arms over his chest. "If it counts for anything, she doesn't run from me anymore."

"Progress." Snape nodded slowly. "Not much, but it's progress. Did you figure out why she was scared of you?"

"Mhm."

"And why was she scared of you?"

"Because she believed some rumour about me that was complete and utter fucking bullshit."

"Language, Mister Malfoy."

"My apologies."

"So she was scared of you because she believed a rumour about you?" Snape repeated, seemingly trying to understand the situation.

"Mhm." Draco nodded, rubbing his jaw.

"What rumour?"

"That I hit Greengrass."

"But you didn't."

"No I didn't." But she sexually assualted me. "I don't hit women."

"So you and Valencia are still where you started?" Snape looked confused and a bit annoyed.

"No," Draco pointedly said, his eyes sharp. "I told you she isn't running from me anymore."

"But that's it."

"Pretty much."

Snape sighed heavily. "Very well."

When Draco left, he felt his chest loosen up a bit. No way in hell he was going to tell Snape about his progress with Kaimana because Draco felt oddly protective over her.

This is just a task, he always reminded himself. But it never went through his head. It went in one ear and out the other.

Draco debated on avoiding Kaimana just because he didn't want to continue to spend time with her if it was just for the task, but then he realized the time he had been spending with her lately wasn't because of the task.

It was because he longed for the way she knocked her head back every time she laughed infectiously whenever she found something actually funny.

It was because he craved to hear her angelic, but strong voice.

It was because he enjoyed watching her unfiltered expressions when he talked or added his thoughts and opinions.

It was because he ached to inhale her exotic scent or pineapple and mangos infused with vanilla.

It was because he liked the feeling of butterflies in his stomach when her hand brushed against his skin.

It was because he smiled easily every time she gasped and looked at him with wide eyes and threw her hand over her mouth after reading something unbelievable or scary.

It was because he was hypnotized by the way her big, brown eyes sparkled when she looked up at him through her long and full lashes.

It was because his knees always grew weak when she held his gaze with the same intensity as he did hers.