𝟐𝟎

Kaimana Valencia | January 1996

"Thanks for having sleeping problems, Dad," Kaimana had said to her father when he got home that one day Franco came to visit and didn't make it out.

Her dad had blinked at her. "I'm sure that isn't something a daughter would usually say to her father, but you're welcome I guess," he said with a quiet, puzzled laugh.

And later that night, Quinn had privately asked Kaimana, "Who was that? That big man?"

Kaimana had said, "Don't worry about him, Q. Please don't. He was just an old friend who came to say hi, but we had a rough past, so I didn't want you getting involved with him."

And he had nodded with bemusement.

When Kaimana's father noticed his empty bottle of sleeping pills and asked her about them, she had simply told him she accidentally threw them out since she was cleaning out the medicine cabinets and they had loads of expired medicine pills.

He had laughed at her, and said, "Kai, next time read the bottle, yeah? Now I've got to get another refill."

"Or I could make you a batch of Dreamless Sleep. I am a Witch, remember? And you're a Wizard," she had replied.

"But I like doing things the Muggle way," he had said with a grin.

She didn't plan on telling her dad that Franco had come to visit. Franco had obviously didn't come for good intentions, so there was really no need.

Kaimana just saved herself, Zaiyah, Quinn, and her father.

She felt no guilt. None, whatsoever.

Now, Kaimana was back at Hogwarts and already had her nose in a book. She was studying for another exam coming up for D.A.D.A., and she was just trying to be prepared even though she always did well in that class.

When Kaimana got back, she had also spoken to Dumbledore about adding a small change to her schedule when she got back from holiday. She decided, like Aisling, she wanted to help people.

But she didn't know for sure yet. She was simply testing the waters.

So Dumbledore arranged for her to work with Madam Pomfrey every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after her classes at the Hospital Wing. Aisling was helping out on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sundays, and sometimes Saturdays.

Kaimana was actually excited, and she had been enjoying it so far. She wanted to see if this was what she wanted to do for her future. She was just trying a bunch of things to see which she found the most enjoyment in. Which she found came naturally to her.

Because she wanted to have a career she would enjoy.

"You just took my fucking eggs, Mai." Jaxon's voice tore Kaimana from her thoughts. His jaw clenched as he looked annoyedly at Meleah.

"I did not take your eggs," she shot back with a mouthful of eggs. "They were sitting hopelessly in front of you, so they called to me."

Kaimana rolled her eyes with a smile and bounced her leg, so Zaiyah bounced.

"QUINN KODA REID AND JAXON XAVIER RIVERS! YOU'RE BOTH BLOODY DEAD!"

All heads in the Great Hall shot to the entrance, where Cardin stood in a towel with striking purple hair. He looked fresh out of the shower.

"Oh, shit," Quinn and Jaxon hissed in unison, simultaneously scrambling to their feet before they bolted.

Kaimana watched as the two boys ran to the entrance, avoiding being grabbed by Cardin, who was fuming with anger.