Chapter 40: Friendship - Suspicions!

(Mature Language 18+)

"Mr. Timberlake, she is fine now. But like I said earlier, you need to get her treated as soon as possible. The oral medications won't be helpful any longer."

As the doctor's words ringed in his mind over and over again, Nicholas held his forehead and closed his eyes thinking how on earth he was supposed to save his daughter.

Kitty has a hole in her heart. Earlier the oral medications did their work in buying sometime. But as days passed she started getting tired quickly and felt a lot weaker. Of course unlike other children she couldn't run and play.

On checking with the doctor Nicholas was told that a surgery was essential in her case or ele things would end badly. Of course, he didn't have that kind of money to get her daughter treated. And that was the major reason why he agreed to this deal nearly selling his conscience in the first place.

After Preeti had passed away, Kitty was the only person left in his life and he was ready to do anything to save his daughter. When it came to his daughter's life, nothing else mattered to him. Not even his conscience that has been cursing him for days.

"Daddy, am I going to die?"

Of course his world nearly stopped hearing that painful question. Snapping his head, he looked at Kitty who looked so pale and tired. She was in hospital for two days under doctor's observation and was discharged just a few hours back.

Picking her up, he sat her in his lap and cupped her cheeks ever so lovingly, "Honey, never repeat that word. You are not dying. You are going to live a long life."

"Okay! But Marcus said that his brother had also fainted in the bathroom one day and then he died." Kitty laid out her point ever so innocently thinking about her best friend's words while he sat there like a rock thinking back about that time.

Yes, Marcus' brother had fits problem. And one unfortunate day, he was in the bathroom and suddenly had a fit stroke. It was a very bad fall and he hurt his head. When taken to the hospital, a few hours later he was pronounced dead.

To say Nicholas' heart crushed thinking why his sweet daughter was in this situation would be such an understatement. She is so sweet, caring and innocent. She doesn't deserve this pain. Why? Why was god so cruel to such a wonderful girl?

Trying his level best not to breakdown right there and probably scare this little one, he carefully masked off his pain with a sweet smile and squeezed her cheeks playfully saying, "Marcus' brother's case was different honey. You fainted because you didn't eat well. You don't eat healthy food like daddy. And that's the reason you fainted. You must eat good healthy food and that means you must eat spinach too. Okay?"

"I don't like spinach daddy!" She pointed out her disinterest towards that poor greeny vegetable making a face while he squinted his eyes at her saying, "If you are not going to eat healthy food then I won't let you play with your teddy bear."

Of course her eyes grew up wide as saucers hearing the little threat. Being the smart little girl that she is, she dropped an open mouth kiss on his lips and blinked her eyes ever so cutely saying, "Please daddy! Don't take my teddy bear away!"

Needless to say it was really difficult for him to stand on his ground but knowing it was the best for his daughter, he tried to maintain that stern face. Sensing there was no room to escape, the little one exhaled deeply and shrugged her shoulders giving him a puppy face, "Okay. I will eat spinach. Please let me play with my teddy bear."

Now, how was he not supposed to melt when she gave him that puppy look?

"Okay sweetheart! You got a deal then!"